Food for corals

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by tresguey, Nov 21, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tresguey

tresguey Fire Worm

didn't really know where to post this one, but i had a question on foods people may be useing. i have been useing a mixture of live dt's and marine snow. alternating every other day. but for the last week i switched to liquidlifeusa.com's coral plankton. and i don't know if it's just my imagination but it looks like everything seems to be getting fuller and my pumpers are going crazy. anyone else use the stuff and with what luck?

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

DTs won't help your corals but is great food for your filter feeders ie. clams and feather dusters. You've hit on the right stuff for corals. Corals will also eat the Cyclopeeze.

4. Scoffer

Scoffer Banned

Are you talking about BioPlankton?? can't find anything called coral plankton on the liquidlifeusa.com site.

and do you turn off your pumps when you feed this stuff? or does it just continue to circulate?

thanks...been wondering what a good additive would be.
    Scoffer

5. Craig Manoukian

I feed a combination of BioPlankton which is best for clams and good soft corals, and then MarinePlankton with Cyclopeeze which is best for fish and good for soft corals. I also feed Mysis for my fish.

6. hoodoo

hoodoo Fire Shrimp

aeh, what do you mean by "dt's won't help your corals"?
    I only feed Phytoplankton for my Xenia and mushrooms and starpolys. They told me this would be the right food for them...

7. Craig Manoukian

Well thanks Hoodoo I did misspeak myself there didn't I. DTs, phytoplankton, will be good for some soft corals but are best for clams and other filter feeders. The Xenia and GSP will get some benefit, but mushrooms will need larger meatier foods.

My mushrooms and zoanthus/palythoa love to munch any Mysis shrimp they can catch. They benefit more from the cyclopeeze.

8. Click Here!

9. hoodoo

hoodoo Fire Shrimp

that's really good to know. So you would feed mysis shrimp for the mushrooms and what would you recommend as the best for the xenia?
    And, I never used Mysis before. What exaclty do you feed? frozen?

10. Craig Manoukian

The Myisis I get from the LFS is in a tray of frozen cubes and is fortified with vitamins.  I feed primarily to the fish, but some of my soft corals do catch a few snacks.  Your Chromis and Clowns will love the stuff.

11. hoodoo

hoodoo Fire Shrimp

that sounds good :)
    I'll try that

12. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I feed Mysis and I use a home styled pipette thing and the fish bite the end of the tube waiting for the food!

I have yet to see my zoos or shrooms catch anyting on their own....do you place food on top of them? or what?