Food for Brine Shrimp?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Ransom92, Mar 16, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ransom92

Ransom92 Plankton

I know most of the people here only raise these type of shrimp to feed to other fish but I've decided to just raise them.
    I've managed to hatch them in a home made hatchery and then transfer them to a tank, but my question was; I've read Brine shrimp can be fed wheat flour, but the type of wheat flour I've got at home is self raising wheat flour and the ingredients say it contains Calcium Phosphate. So I was wondering if I could still feed them this just like normal wheat flour without any illness/deaths?
    Appreciate any help :)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

4. Ransom92

Ransom92 Plankton

uhm... so is it okay to feed them this type of wheat flour or not? :confused:

5. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

Sorry...don't know anything about raising shrimp...just gave ya a bump back to the top of the list so maybe some who knows more about the subject may see it and advise.
    Good luck...

6. rayjay

rayjay Gigas Clam

A lot of different foods can work but choice of food affects how many survive.
    Things like rice bran flour can be used but there is too much settlement for me and I had to clean out containers all too often.
    Yeast works but not well for any meaningful density.
    Also, nutrition of the brine are low when using the above or similar products.
    For me, I use live nanno and a Algamac 3050, for the first 10 days or so at 68°F. Less days if warmer temps are used as the growth rate is faster.
    After that, switch to something like Brine Shrimp Direct's Tahitian Blend algal paste, or, like I do, use spirulina powder (also from BSD) mixed with Algamac 3050.
    Whatever powders you use, you need to put it in a blender with water and blend for at least 2 minutes to micronize the particles as small as possible for less settlement.
    The Algamac 3050 is a high DHA fatty acid, that I prefer over DHA Selco for it's higher DHA and the fact it stores longer.

Raising Brine Shrimp

2 people like this.
  7. Ransom92

Ransom92 Plankton

Okay, thanks for the bump! :victory:

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Ransom92

Ransom92 Plankton

Thanks for the reply, I might try and see if the Wheat flour is successful, I've fed them twice today already, not really sure how many times I should feed them, but I'll limit it to 2-3 times a day. If they don't survive, I'll purchase some Spirulina powder on line.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  10. rayjay

rayjay Gigas Clam

I never had good yields when using powders as the only foods in the earlier Instar stages so that's why I use the nanno to start with. Particle size is smaller than the blended spirulina powder.
    When using the flower as food, don't depend on the brine giving any nutrition to whatever you are feeding them to. Best if you at least enrich them first.

11. Ransom92

Ransom92 Plankton

I think you've misunderstood me. The shrimp are not going to be fed to anything. I just want to raise them :)

12. rayjay

rayjay Gigas Clam

OK then, if that's all you want them for, then blend the flour in water for two minutes and then let settle overnight. Siphon off the blend down to the point where if you go further you will siphon out the heavier settlement on the bottom. Discard this settlement as it is only going to pollute the system.
    Light multiple feedings are the best way to go with just enough to see some fogging in the brine water.