FoD's 250DD Build

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by FaceOfDeceit, Jun 30, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Hey gang. It has been a while. Work has been kicking my butt, and I just don't have time to devote to the forums like I should. The good thing about work is it gets me money. Money gets me bigger tank. Bigger tank gets me more fishies and corals! Enjoy.

The Glass:
    Display - Marineland 250 Deep Dimension - viewable from 3 sides.
    Sump - Deep Blue Rimless 80G Frag
    Propagation Tank - Custom 35 Gallon Acrylic - Clear front, black everywhere else
    QT - 40 Breeder

The Lights:
    Display Lighting - 2x250W Radiums with 4x54W T5HO Supplements and 4x Kessil A160WE just for actinics.
    Propagation Lighting - ATI 8x39W T5HO with 36" Reefbrite XHO Blue LED
    QT Lighting - Home Depot Special 2x24W T5HO

The Filtration:
    Vertex Alpha 200 Skimmer with Vectra Self Cleaning Head
    Avast Marine Vibe 4L for Zeolith Media

The Extra Goodies:
    Deltec PF-501 Calcium Reactor
    Avast Marine K2 Kalk Reactor
    GHL 4-Head Doser

The Pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More to come.

Billme likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Holy s#×$! FOD. Now this a build right here! I can't wait to see this bad boy come together. Nice lighting too. I just recently had to get phoenix bulbs because no one has any radiums. Good luck man and I'll be following

4. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Holy moly have a little light there!

Your frag tank is nicer then my display and bigger. LOL

Looks like you've been planning and collecting for awhile, nice.

6. FaceOfDeceit

Thanks Cheryl. Actually, this all came about on a whim. I went into my LFS, and told them I would pay half of what they retailed the 250 for and they said yes! Who knew. Then I went to another LFS and ordered the sump, but their supplier messed up the order and sent the rimless tank instead...SCORE! The prop tank was added just because.

I've been wanting to do this see through tank for a while and all custom quotes I got exceeded what I've spent so far on everything. I already had the ATI light, and the Vertex skimmer was bought to upgrade my current 120...slightly oversized for that tank, but I got a good price on closeout. All in, I'm pretty happy.

Unfortunately, I recently lost almost all Acro's last week while I was on a business trip...bad water I presume. So, this will be a fresh start basically.

7. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

Sorry for the loss there

Corailline likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

^ this, that sucks.

But you get to plan differently. Instead of planning and arranging stuff based on what you already have, you buy for what you have planned, if that makes sense. I am always falling into that trap of if I put this here, well than I got to put that there, it's a viscous cycle.

Reefbuilder likes this.
  10. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

wow! that setup looks awesome! congrats and looking forward to seeing the final products. So sorry about your losses. I lost three fish while on vacation :(

11. FaceOfDeceit

Thanks.

Yeah I see that. I'm going to start off all corals in the prop tank since I have that fixture. The only thing I have for the big tank right now is the 250w halides. I'll have to get a PAR meter and test the 250's and decide if I want to go 400's. Well see. I made sure there is lots of coal real estate, even though I went with a "minimalist" scape.

Thanks. Yeah, losses suck. But they are part of this horrible hobby...errr...a horrible part of this hobby. It was better that it happened while I was away. Late last year I lost 80% off my fish when a freak case of Brook broke out. Took out lots of higher dollar wrasse too. Almost made me step back from the hobby. But I think this build reassures that I am sticking with it.

12. Reefbuilder

Reefbuilder Scooter Blennie

Love the racking in the frag tank. Good luck on the build!