Fluval FX5 Canister Pump Shuts Down?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by silverbells, Mar 22, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. silverbells

silverbells Astrea Snail

we have a fluval fx5 smart pump almost 1&1/2 years old. Within the last month or so, it shuts down? My husband tears it apart cleans re-arrainge's the seals & rings & it work's great for awhile again today is the 3rd time we found it not running, the first time it actually leaked for awhile, but now just stop's running. Has anyone had this same problem before? And how long can it go w/o harming the fish? The tank is a s/w, 125 gal.:confused:

2. Click Here!

3. divott

divott Giant Squid

4. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

May be calcium build up with in the filter as well as the pump. Have you tried taking it all apart and soaking it in vinegar? If I remember correctly, those pumps automatically shut down when they need to be cleaned or something is preventing it from performing properly. I would take it all apart and soak the canister as well as the pump in vinegar over night.

5. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Hello, well I looked up your filter; FLUVAL - Where design meets innovation and it has an electronic circuit board (innovative and unusual) that controls the pump. It says it can pause to allow air to escape. It may be the board is going or excess air is entering (I doubt the latter). Call the company and see what they tell you. May be time to go to a sump! If money and accessibility will allow.

6. Reefaholic727

Reefaholic727 Flamingo Tongue

mine does the same thing and boiut the same age they probably programmed it to do it lol. i just clean it and it works. that the only thing i can figure out. suscribed