Fluval FX5 Canister Filter

Discussion in '3reef Radar' started by Matt Rogers, Jan 24, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Fluval is continuing to upgrade their canister filters for fresh and saltwater aquariums. The Fluval FX5 is the latest and has 'Smart Pump' technology that monitors the pumps efficiency. The FX5 also has the pump mounted externally for ease of maintenance and heat exchange.
    <br />
    [​IMG]
    Fluval FX5 Canister Filter

Highlights:

* Smart Pump TM technology, monitors the pump, ensuring efficient operation.
    * Massive media capacity consisting of 3 separate removable baskets.
    * 925 GPH of raw power.
    * Click-Fit technology for fast maintenance.
    * For fresh and saltwater aquariums up to 400 gallons.

More info:
    fluval_6
    HAGEN - manufacturers of quality pet supplies for fish, birds, cats, dogs, small animals

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I found a couple videos posted on YouTube regarding the Fluval FX5.

This video maker appears to be fixated on the noise.

However, someone posted this a week ago:

Anybody seen this in action? Impressions?

4. Menden1

Menden1 Plankton

Fluval FX5

I bought this pump ten days ago and it is a piece of junk. The first five days it was great, although it was very loud. However, after the fifth day, once it shut down for “2” minutes, it never started back up. I would have to unhook the hoses, and drain half the water, and then start it back up in order for it to start working. I called <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Hagen</st1:place></st1:City>, and they told me to take out the polishing pad, which I did, and the pump then worked another 24 hours. This pump has a shut-down every 24 hours for a 2 minute internal cleaning. However, last night when the pump shut-down, it never started back up. Regardless of what I tried, the pump is dead. This morning I will call <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Hagen</st1:place></st1:City> again, but really don’t expect them to do anything. Don’t waste your money on this pump. :confused:

5. DesertReefer

DesertReefer Plankton

i love my fx5. i only have the filtering sponges and carbon bags as i have plenty of live rock. i did try polishing pads but i don't recomend them. creates damn good flow by itself and it powers through anything stired up in the tank during a cleaning. i've had mine on my tank for 1 yr. it was on a freshwater for 1 yr before that. the ballasts for my halides make more noise than it does.;D

1 person likes this.
  6. RemickJ

RemickJ Teardrop Maxima Clam

I just bought an FX5 for a 120 that I am going to be setting up but am considering taking it back for a Wet/Dry set up. Do you have problems with your Nitrates using a canister? How often do you clean it?

7. Triz

Triz Plankton

I've had my FX5 running for about four months on my 90gal, and it's been terrific. Very, very quiet (can't even hear it when the cupboard doors are closed), and easy to set up and clean. Puts out a lot of flow, too; I use the outputs to agitate my water surface. Haven't had any problems with nitrates -- I do a full clean of the unit and its sponges once a month.

8. Click Here!

9. mdfudge

mdfudge Plankton

You should of taken it back for an exchange. Its possible that the motor impeller pump was damaged or made wrong, although they test each and every FX5 before boxing it, it may in some way have been dropped somewhere along the line or you may have just sucked up some sort of debri while assembling your FX5. I would take appart the motor housing and thoroughly clean and inspect it for abnormal wear or debri, re-install the motor housing and setup the baskets with no media and run it again. It should not make any noise that is unusual or loud, it should sound like a swirlling motion of water being pumped.. they are very quiet. Good luck with your dead pump.. you may be able to revive it.

BTW- I love my New Fluval FX5 people are amazed when I show them the filtering system, they are like oohh awe! yup, I'am happy with it and recomend it for anyone with a large aquarium fresh/ or salt water. Use the Bio-Max Media.. I have two boxes of the stuff on the bottom basket and a water polishing pad on top of that.. no problems with it yet. Some don't recomend the posishing pad although its not recomended for extended use.. so it should be changed more often like in 2 week intervals since it will get clogged.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  10. plandy

plandy Astrea Snail

Canisters on their own do not cause nitrates. The key here is how to use them so as not to turn them into nitrate factories.

11. hector

hector Plankton

fluval fx5

do u have carbon in all three?

12. hector

hector Plankton

i see you have live rock posted i'm supposing you have a salt water tank....i just set my tank up and have purchased a fluval fx5 filter. i need to know what/or do you have anything in the media tray because i have bio max and pre filter and carbon. i got a 125 gall. what size tank do you have?