Fluval FX5 Bubbles?????

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by ranger2806, Mar 12, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Way to step in makinITwork!

Living up to your name! ;D

Good stuff.

2. Click Here!

3. ranger2806

ranger2806 Fire Shrimp

i have a 32w bulb on the 12x twist. and thanks for the filter part that was the problem

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Glad to hear it. Good to know..
    That is a cool filter.

5. TempusFugit

TempusFugit Plankton

FX 5 Bubble Problem fixed..
    I had the small bubble problem with my FX5. Next time I cleaned the filter, I sprayed some PAM on my fingertips and rubbed it on all the rubber seals. Haven't had the problem since.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Interesting. What's in PAM?

7. ranger2806

ranger2806 Fire Shrimp

8. Click Here!

9. signu127

signu127 Plankton

My FX5 is driving me CRAZY. I had it for about 8 months now. I never had any problems with it, it would blow some microbubbles every few months and I would clean the filter and it was good to go. Well my pump went out, Hagen sent me a new one I installed it and changed the media. I use to have live rock rubble in my middle chamber, I took it out. Now all I have is the Carbon in the middle with a polishing pad (blue fluval) and some bio rings in the bottom. I put both the carbon and bio rings in the bags that come with them. The bio rings and the polishing pad are both something I never ran before. I cant get rid of the Microbubbles. I mix the media up, it works for a couple of days and the bubbles are back again. I am ready to toss it through the window!!!

10. Nightstick

Nightstick Purple Spiny Lobster

IMO its one of two things. Its either your water pressure or the media! I personally have a combination of the two irritating me. During the day my water pressure is high (no bubbles!) but by 5pm the bubbles are back again. I imagine it will get worse when I add my uv sterilizer. Also cleaning you media is key, but expensive. Those polishing pads aren't cheap! Did I hear your guys correctly are people using the blue cleaning pads instead of polishing pads? Are they cheaper?

11. Greg9MM

Greg9MM Skunk Shrimp

I just got off the phone with fluval. According to them when using chemi-pure media in the fx5 there are problems with micro bubbles. What a load of garbage.