FLuval edge rimless mod????

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Toallhisdoom, Jun 14, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

So does anyone think the fluval edge would hold up if i took the top glass off and just made it a rimless tank? I hate having the glass and the lid it kills the light spread. Am thinking of just filling it with corals. But would the tank hold up if i removed the lid? or would it just fall apart from the 6 gallons of water? haha

2. Click Here!

3. Toallhisdoom

4. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

i have one sitting in the garage. pretty but a pain,saved it as a qt tank, tagging along.

5. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

im guessing putting it on the base instead of its very small base makes it more stable to take the top off

6. Toallhisdoom

I think for saltwater purposes it would be much better as a rimless tank. Modify the ligh bracket to hang over dead center and it would be great as a coral only tank.

7. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

when i had saltwater in mine i found it best to keep the water level lower and use a pump to aerate the surface. still it was a pain to clean and I'm sorry i bought it. they do look nice though when they are run as intended to be run (full with no water line showing)
    i thought about doing a small freshwater planted betta tank, but its just to much of a pain to clean

8. Click Here!

9. Toallhisdoom

yea well that's why i was thinking rimless. would make it easier for do stuff with, and clean, and the top would not block the lighting

10. mails2thiagu

mails2thiagu Feather Duster

I have 10 gallon rimless(DIY) freshwater one with Betta, shrimp and neons for last 3 months without any issue. they look good without rim though, here's link to my tank, chekc last two pics.

11. old_adam

old_adam Plankton

Anyone who's done this. Do you still have the top portion?

The top of my 12 gallon edge is broken and I need to repair it. Do you happen to still have the top of your edge?