Fluval 305 vs Penguin 350

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by DSMKilla, Aug 5, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DSMKilla

DSMKilla Plankton

Right now I have a penguin 350 bio-wheel setup on my 30 gallon tank. I just bought a Fluval 305. One thing I noticed is that the penguin is rated at 350GPH and up to 75 gallon tank, wheres the Fluval 305 is rated at only 260GPH and 70 gallon tank. So I am wondering if filters should be based on their GPH rating or what. I mean it's clear to me that the fulval must be a way better filter since you can have all kinds of different media to load into it. I guess what I am wondering is will I be ok just running the Fluval 305 and removing my penguin 350? Will I still have enough filteration?

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

yes but i would one them both for a while so bacteria can populate the canister before removing the bio wheel filter

4. antonym518

antonym518 Purple Spiny Lobster

What size tank and what are you putting in the fluval. I have two canisters on my 75 gal a fluval and a ehiem. How much other filteration and lr, ect...?

5. DSMKilla

DSMKilla Plankton

It's a 30 gallon. See picture below. Got about 55lbs of live rock, Fluval 305 Filter, Hydor Koralia Powerhead, and also just added SeaClone Skimmer. I had to take the Penguin350 off. There's no way all that crap was gonna work out hanging all on the back of the tank like that.

[​IMG]

6. antonym518

Get rid of the bio wheel for sure. When did you get the skimmer and where. Get your money back those things are horrible. I run chemi pure and sponge only in my fluval. Same with the ehiem. I also got a surface skimmer for 20$ and it attaches to the fluval perfect.

7. jptrson

jptrson Feather Duster

Get rid of the Bio crud from the cannister, put in Chemi pure, ISBN or something like that. Get rid of the Sea clone, CPR or Octopus will blow it away for a few dollars more

8. Click Here!

9. DSMKilla

DSMKilla Plankton

haha really? I had a buddy of mine kick it down to me. He bought it and ended up not going thru with his tank setup so it was brand new. How come it's a piece of crap? You said there's a skimmer that will connect to our fluvals?

10. DSMKilla

DSMKilla Plankton

Are you talking about the Biomax media?
    [​IMG]

11. antonym518

12. DSMKilla

DSMKilla Plankton

Awesome, thanks for the info on the skimmer.

About the media, too late lol. I am already running the filter as we speak. Right now here is the media I am using...

TOP - BioMax Rings Media
    MIDDLE - Carbon Media
    BOTTOM - Pre-Filter Media

So your saying that all that is garbage? Chemi pure, your talking about this stuff below right? Your saying to just use that stuff in all three trays?

[​IMG]