Fluidized Sand Bed

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Save_the_Reef, Feb 26, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Save_the_Reef

Save_the_Reef Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

What is all your takes on the fluidized sand bed? Is it worth a try?

2. Click Here!

3. Guest

Guest Guest

I would like to see some responses to this as well. I am starting out my 65 gal fish only with one - primarily to save space that bio balls would take up.

My researched about this type of filter raised two issues.
    1) Oxygen - it appears that they devour your oxygen (the science makes sense here - the bateria take the oxygen in a non-oxygen rich environment unlike bioballs. I dont know if a good skimmer (Aqua Urchin for me) and returns that break the surface will overcome this issue. Does anyone know?
    2) If you lose your power, the bacteria die quickly. I plan to get a battery backup for this device.

Thats all I know but am definitely concerned with the oxygen issue.

4. Jetholes

Jetholes Plankton

Why will no one reply here?

5. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

Hi,

I've been using them for years. I've used them on a 55, 72 and a 130. My 210 is the first tank that I have not used one on. These were either FO or FOWLER systems. The guy I bought my 130 had a small one running with great success. I upgraded to a Rainbow Lifeguard 900 and a 600 which are currently running on my 72 FOWLER and my 55 hospital which has 60lb of LR in it.

Personally, I like them and have had no significant  problems once set up. One word of caution. Keep them away from a light sourse. Algae can build up inside. $ for $ they provide a huge amount of aerobic bio filtration. Did you notice the size of the units I have? The 900 came off the 130. It is rated for 900 gal! It ran about $20 more than the 300 and was still under $100. I view it as a cheap bullet proof backup or primary system.

Since it is an aerobic process, it is bound to deplete some O2, but it is processing the same bioload as any other aerobic system. It shouldn't us any more O2. Personally I think these values are minimal and are more than overcome by normal water movement and the operation of skimmers.

Good luck [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

6. Jetholes

Jetholes Plankton

Thanks. Its good to hear from someone who has used on with success.