Flower Pot

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by GreyGhost, Oct 12, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GreyGhost

GreyGhost Purple Spiny Lobster

I never really wanted a Coral I had to spot feed, but I have a cool looking flower pot and decided to keep it and try to keep it alive as long as possible. I kept a Flame Scallop for just over 3 year's which is a pretty descent record, so How long have you had your flower pot or long were you able to keep one alive? I dose my tank a few times a week with live Phyto. Should I increase this? Or is there something else I should be feeding? What are the feeding requirement's? I know they are hard to keep, but it is here so I will go at it until the last flower leaves the skeleton. It already has some bare spot's on the skeleton. Do they put more Flower's in those little divet's on the skeleton or are they just there to remain empty? What have you found to be the best care for a Flower Pot? What about placement and flow? It is on bottom right now and in a medium flow area.
    Ghost

2. Click Here!

3. DaDaAtlanta

DaDaAtlanta Feather Star

I've had my green fpc for about 3 months now. I bought it before reading the reviews that said its hard to keep. So far its been doing excellent. I moved it around a bit and eventually to the bottom on the substrate so it has plenty of room to spread. I think the main reason this coral dies off is from poor care and its susceptibility to infection. This article contains good information about its care FreshMarine.com - Flower Pot Coral - Goniopora lobata - Daisy Coral - Flower Pot Coral - Sunflower Coral - Buy Cheap Yoo Stone Coral at Wholesale.

All I feed is rods every other day to my tank and I use aquavitro fuel. I think I will start taking pictures and recording its progress from now on but I think its one of the coolest coral in my tank.

4. GreyGhost

It say's it need's fairly high lighting I have a Catalina 6 Bulb T-5 so hopefully that is enough. Mine is pink in color. Here is a picture of it. One more question. Another user on here told me the bald spot is where other polyp's have died. I know it is a skeleton and not a rock, can they make more polyp's to cover the bald spot? Thank you for your time.
    Ghost

Attached Files:

5. DaDaAtlanta

DaDaAtlanta Feather Star

I have a bald spot on mine also, a small one, but when the coral open they expand and seem to cover up that area but im not sure about any new growth. I read somewhere that most people are not able to keep them over a year but I guess I'll have to find out the hard way and hope it doesnt die cuz its the coolest looking thing in there. I dont know how much your polyps are suppose to extend on the pink, but thats how mine looks in the morning and then eventually gets to be about 4 inches in polyp length. Mine is also bald around the base likes yours is. How many watts on what size tank is it. Im running 2 175 MH on a 55 under reeflux 10k bulbs

6. GreyGhost

I have a 6 bulb T-5 on this 55 they are 3-450nm and 3-10K

7. GreyGhost

The site said not to put them in an aquarium with bristleworm's I have hundred's of them. I have a yellow Tang and heard long ago they eat them but not to sure about that?

8. Click Here!

9. DaDaAtlanta

DaDaAtlanta Feather Star

I got a yellow tang too, and a blue hippo. No issues at all. I dont know about bristleworms, dont got none of those

10. HappyGillmore

HappyGillmore Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Oyster Eggs will help alot as well, definetly try and get some. Its because of this new food that people are beginning to keep these things beyond the projected odds.

I have a Green Goni, ive had it for almost about 2 weeks and I think its on its way out. I got some bad advice from the LFS as they said it didnt need any acclimation other than a temperature adjusting float. But apparently the animal is trying to adjust to the salinity by extending its polyps to different lengths. I explained the situation at a another forum and someone told me this condition is irreverseable and its just a matter of time. I keep feeding it a mix of live phyto, rotifers and oyster eggs/ovarian tissue in hopes it will come around but it just doesnt look good. If anyone knows anything I can do to reverse this condition please let me know :) BTW it never shows any kind of feeding response, I get conflicted opinions on this, some people said you wont see any response (i guess the food just sticks to its flowers?) and others say the flowers are supposed to close up and retract once they contact food.

BTW be careful with those three foods, they are high in phosphates and will cause algae blooms and worse. Obviously a good refugium with cheato and macro algaes will help with that, phosban type medias too, but your best bet is to feed just enough.

11. jhawkor

jhawkor Millepora

I have a green goni it's polyps will retract when it eats. I feed mine a mix of mysis, brine, oyster, and phyto plankton. So far it eats great and is doing well.

12. DaDaAtlanta

DaDaAtlanta Feather Star

i feed my tank rods and phyto every other day and pellets for my fish the other days. My Green Goni does not always retract in response to food however I have seen it do that a few times. I havent seen any opening of the mouths in the polyps of anything, just the whole coral shrink up for a while when feeding but hasnt done it lately. Maybe its full ?? lol