Flower Pot Coral did I make a huge mistake

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by skennelly, Apr 26, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. skennelly

skennelly Coral Banded Shrimp

I recently picked up a flower pot coral not knowing their level of difficulty and thier bad track record. What are my chances of keeping him healthy? You can check a picture of it in my tank here http://www.spksoftware.com/reef/page4.html

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Well, from what I have read and such, they are more of a lagoon type coral, with more nutrient rich waters. You seem to have mostly soft corals...and you probably don't overskim (like the nutrient poor water needed for SPS corals), so you may have a shot.:)

I'd be curious to hear what others have to say, and how you do with it. They are truly beautiful and can't say that I have not been tempted to buy that one myself!;D

4. skennelly

Thanks BL, I certainly hope so, it really put a bad feeling in my stomache when I read articles saying how impossible this coral is to keep after I purchased it. It really is a gorgious specimen.

5. alarsuel

alarsuel Astrea Snail

I bought a large specimen without knowing their reputation either. So far he seems to be doing well (about a month). He even seems to be growing. I have him on the bottom of the yank with a 250 MH and enough flow to make him sway in the breeze. I too got a bad feeling when I saw their rep, however, like anything else you put in your tank, results may vary. Don't gt too freaked out when he retracts into his rock, as this seems to be a normal nighttime activity. Otherwise, just keep a watch on him and if something "seems" wrong give it a few days before you start panicking.

Good Luck,

Aaron

6. skennelly

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm not panicking, but I am just concerned. So far it looks great and I have it in a similar environment as you will decent flow so the polyps are swaying, although I am working with 4 x 110 watt VHO lights.