Flow through Fuge?

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by skmo41, Mar 17, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. skmo41

skmo41 Astrea Snail

Building a Fuge from a 20L and plan on putting a 5 in DSB and some macro and maybe mangroves and skimmer. It will be placed on a 65tall DT and I was wondering on what desired flow thru the fuge would be. I am looking at getting an Eheim 1262 pump and was wondering if that would work? or if it is overkill? Also what kind of flow i need for macro algae alot or alittle?

2. Click Here!

3. Ford101

Ford101 Fire Shrimp

A good moderate to slow flow is great for a fuge as it allows plenty of time for the macro to absorb phosphates and excess nutrients. If it's too fast the macro has little contact time with the nutrients in the water. My fuge has about 100 gph at the most and it is growing cheato like a weed.

4. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

65 gallon DT.. 20 L is like less than 5 gallons?...not overkill at all. imo
    and everything else should be fine.:)

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

The slower the better to allow your algae to pull more nutrients from the water. Running the flow at 1X the refuge's volume is a good goal. This will allow the DSB to be more efficient also.

6. skmo41

skmo41 Astrea Snail

thank you for the help, so from the sounds I could get away with a smaller pump?