Flow question

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Rarend99, Apr 24, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Rarend99

Rarend99 Coral Banded Shrimp

So I currently have a standard 75 gallon that is running a koralia evolution 550, 750, and a 1050.

I don't like the fact that I don't get random flow and waves, so I am thinking of upgrading, I LOVE the vortechs functionality but hate their price tag, I was looking at tunze and maybe even the koralia smart wave maker, who has some suggestions.

If I have to I'll ultimately buy an MP40wES

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

It's not the pumps, it's how you have them placed and pointed. I get plenty of random flow from 3 Maxi-Jets and a HOB in my 29h, and that's with a combined rate of only 30x (same as yours). You just need to play around with them, but once you move one, you'll need to allow the flow to settle in before making more changes.

4. junior279

junior279 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Have you heard about the Jeboa WP 40. You can do a search on youtube. Great price with lots of flow.

5. Chance

Chance Bubble Tip Anemone

Random flow pretty much comes from how your PH's are pointed. I have (had) mine bouncing off rocks, and even pointing straight up. You really just have to play with it. But an MP10 or MP40 would do you wonders, and I highly recommend them. But as you said, they're pricey.

6. DevinH

DevinH Montipora Capricornis

As an owner of 2x koralias with the "wave maker" I ended up buying a mp10w es for my 75. I'd recommend buying one.

7. Rarend99

Does the mp10 push enough water in the 75?

8. Click Here!

9. reefer Bob

reefer Bob Montipora Digitata

I have one mp 10 in my 56. It does really good at making flow but the flow is pretty much in the same direction just a diff speeds. Mine flows across the top & bounces off glass & then comes back along bottom. I'm looking to get some wp25 when they come out so I can have diff crashing currents. The mp 10 works great but I really need 2 to get flow I want & I'm not down with paying that price for another.

10. Rarend99

That's what I was afraid of, maybe an mp40 would be better at this with a koralia to crash into the currents.

I also am curious of release date of the wp25

11. reefer Bob

reefer Bob Montipora Digitata

You can get the wp40 now. It's already selling. A few guys have them & say it gets great flow. But at a fraction of the mp40 price. I would rather have a 40 speed down than a 10 at runnin full blast. It would probably last longer. If the koralia's didn't make clicking noises when coming on, then I would gotten them.

12. DevinH

DevinH Montipora Capricornis

My corals do like it. This is a LPS/softy