flow is everything

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by SWED120, Mar 28, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SWED120

SWED120 Plankton

so I am now buying the ro/di filter and circulation powerheads for my tank (40 gal reef tank). so my new problem is what to buy. I am looking at the hydor koralia either the 600 or 850 gph. now I know I want to run a wave maker in my system to get optimal flow and circulation. so my question is this a good choice in brand and what size should I go with? the dimensions are 14.5 wide x 32.5 long. if you recommend anything else besides what I am have been looking at please list where to buy and about how much.
    thank you

2. Click Here!

3. bwalker9801

bwalker9801 Zoanthid

I would reccomend a vortech if you are really concerned about flow.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  4. DevinH

DevinH Montipora Capricornis

Yes, Vortech. They cannot be beat. They will make waves.

5. SWED120

SWED120 Plankton

now that sounds reall good but the cheapest I can find just one is $230. I was looking to keep the power head under $75 if I could. sorry should have said that originally. I do agree though everything about them is amazing and the way work is just brilliant.

6. pjracer

pjracer Peppermint Shrimp

Go with a hydor evaluation series.

7. reefer Bob

reefer Bob Montipora Digitata

You might also consider how many cheaper brand heads your gonna buy & add on price of the wave maker. I bought the vortech mp10 esw & I'm thrilled with the options it comes with. It's got wave pulse modes you can use with one head & it works good in my 56 tall. I don't even run full blast. I'm not tryin to convince you to buy vortech cause I know it's not in everyone's price range. I was iffy about paying that much but I'm glad I did. I heard there's a Chinese version for a major fraction of price. Something like wp10. But if your just starting out then the hydro koralia wave maker might be the way to go.

8. Click Here!

9. DevinH

DevinH Montipora Capricornis

I bought 2 koralias and the wave maker... $150....ended up buying a vortech mp10.

10. Dmoody

Dmoody Plankton

You get what you pay for and with an mp10 youd probably only need one..

11. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Koralia is top of the line and their customer service is great. They will do well for what you want to begin with.

12. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Two Hydor Evolutions 750 or 1100's would be a good economical choice. The old Koralia series are not controllable and will fail. Hydor customer service is very good and they have a two year no questions asked guarantee.

Rather than the Hydor controller though I would recommend something like a Reefkeeper Lite or Apex as they give you much more functionality than just a wavemaker for not much more $$.