Flow for SPS

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by crustytheclown, May 16, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. crustytheclown

crustytheclown Eyelash Blennie

So i was wondering if SPS Corals need a direct flow on them from a powerhead? Right now i have my Koralia 2 blowing behind my rockwork from the right side of the tank. I also have a hydor flow rotating nozzle on my return pump. This tank is a 29 gal biocube BTW.
    Here is a pic of my setup, this is a pic from when the tank was still cycling.
    [​IMG]
    But you get the idea of the flow in there.

So i was planning on putting a couple of frags of SPS on the top rock in this tank. Probably mid to top of the top rock. Should i move my power head from behind the rocks and point it at the rock the sps will be on? From maybe the same side but out front more pointed up to blow across the top rock towards the main return nozzle at the top left?
    any thoughts?:confused:

2. Click Here!

3. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

No you don't want direct constant flow on them. Intermittent flow is the best.

4. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

if you do have a sps flow problem down the line, because of limited space. say 1 of your corals is getting blasted but you dont want to move the powerhead or remount other corals, etc.. I place a LR chunk right in between the coral getting blasted and the powerhead. this way the rocks getting the direct flow and not the sps coral just behind it.

5. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

your setup is good... should be able to keep sps with that flow and the position will work well as the flow will be deflected off the left glass and very random then

is your lighting enough?

6. crustytheclown

ok cool. Well i think with the powerhead behind the rock and the hydor flo on the main return they will get some good changing waves. I will be putting another power head in soon as well. Right now i have 950 gph flow in there, which if im doing the math right is just above 30x over. I was thinking of throwing another Koralia in there but drs. foster and smith dont seem to carry the 1,2,3,4 anymore only the mags and nanos? So i am wondering if i should get a koralia nano 425gph for 29 bucks or get the koralia evolution 750gph for 35 bucks?
    what you think?

7. crustytheclown

i have 150watt MH Viper K-2

8. Click Here!

9. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

they like more variation. i say go with smaller gph and more variation

10. crustytheclown

awesome well. i guess ill get the nano 425. any thoughts on where to place it?

11. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

[​IMG]

pointing up to the surface... and maybe a little to the left but straight ahead is fine

12. crustytheclown

wow thanks for being artistic enough to draw a pic dude. You were meaning i should do that with the new powerhead right? And leave the existing Koralia where it is and pointing where it is? thanks alot