Florida Sand?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by mrbanggai101, Dec 27, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mrbanggai101

mrbanggai101 Astrea Snail

Hey y'all, so I live in the panhandle of Florida and have been wondering (since I am upgrading to a new tank) if it's illegal to just get sand from the beach? I've never seen anything about this, so thanks for any help!

2. Click Here!

3. mrbanggai101

Also, sorry forgot to mention that my yard is made of sand. I don't know if it could be used, but who knows?

4. Midnight_Madman

Midnight_Madman Montipora Digitata

Not sure if its legal or not but I wouldn't get it from the yard..(contaminants) at least get it off the beach. You may want to run a sterilizer just in case you get any parasites or bacteria from it in the tank. Or just go for it and don't worry about it!

5. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

You need a permit

6. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

7. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

Like others have mentioned you could get charged with robbery if caught. Also most beach sand has all kinds of stuff that you do not want in your tank.

ezz1r likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Grog

Grog Astrea Snail

Nobody will bust you over a cup of sand off the beach, but a tank worth you're asking for trouble. It's generally illegal wherever you are to take sand from the beach.

10. ezz1r

ezz1r Feather Star

True! its illegal. However if you took a cooler with wheels and slowly filled it with sand while enjoying the beach scene and enjoying a Corona or two well no one will notice. However not such a great idea for a new build given the amount of contaminates you may add to your tank especially during school breaks in the Panhandle we all know what goes on in the sand under the blankets...lol word to the wise!

E

11. mrbanggai101

Thanks guys. I'll just get some from the LFS I think.

Vinnyboombatz likes this.