Resolved Floaters In Water Column & MacroAlgae ID Please

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by LarryS, Nov 5, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. LarryS

LarryS Bristle Worm

Link below shows white 'floaters' in water column.

Video link: Floaters In Water Column - YouTube
    Photo of algae below.

Background: 32 days into cycle. Water developed a very light yellowish green cast (no algae on glass)...that color stable for at least 2-3 weeks.

Yesterday, took a donation from an established 8yr old reef soft coral reef take: live rock with pods and lots of coraline plus approx. 3 gallons weater, small amount of unidentified macroalae for refugium, a couple ounces of substrate, and one mini frag of hammerhead.

Water had no noticeable floaters beforehand... the white floaters persisted throughout today.

Photo of unidentified macroalgae in sump.

00285 sump side 2.jpg

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. LarryS

LarryS Bristle Worm

No one has commented, but here's a thought on the 'floaters': I'm thinking the white stuff is remnants of a misguided effort to kick my cycle into a higher gear with a raw shrimp...it was tied with monofilament but 'swam' away...:(

There is the fern algae escaping from the refugium into the water column...the donor had forgotten the name and I've still not identified it. :-/

4. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Hey, you've got some pretty good coralline growth in there.

I'm not sure, Larry. To me, the spots in the water just look like micro bubbles. But at 0:25 in your video I do see some of that algae, and a larger white spot. Could we possibly get some photos?

I cannot remember what that macro algae in your fuge is called.

5. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

The macro is fern caulerpa.

6. LarryS

LarryS Bristle Worm

Agreed that there are microbubbles...but there is also some algae coming from the refugium... :( which troubles me.

Stills on the BlackBerry are making them look like streamers... will try and do some high speed shots later, but the water column is really moving!

7. LarryS

LarryS Bristle Worm

This is troublesome, no? Especially if it's getting into the DT? Can you be more specific on the caulerpa (or is 'fern caulerpa') the common name not to be confused with another caulerpa? Thanks!

8. Click Here!

9. LarryS

LarryS Bristle Worm

Thanks, Seano! Actually, that coraline was on some rock I received as a donation to help round out the tank cycle which seems to be nearing completion... got very lucky with that prize; but, also received with it some red slime (I discarded it once I realize what it was and some hair algae...which now I need to stop in it's tracks!).

Ok, so about 24 hrs ago I added a Chemi-Pure bag to my sump. The floaters have all but disappeared! There are a very small number of micro bubbles... I'm led to believe that these are most likely coming from the Reef Octopus which is in its break in period...less than a week. With the floaters gone, these are a minor issue.

I'm considering this problem resolved. Thanks all! :)