Float switch

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Land_Fish, Nov 24, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

I currently have a float switch that I bought on ebay about 6 months ago. Now the switch stays open and fills the sump up from a 5 gallon bucket I have near by the tank. I have cleaned it and see nothing wrong with it so put it back in the sump and seems to be working untill I got home today and my sump was full and my skimmer 1/2 gallon contianer was over flowing.. This started about 1 week ago.

Any thought on what I should do?

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Is this a mechanical switch or an electric one? What brand?

4. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

5. seawillow

seawillow Coral Banded Shrimp

I have that exact one....I will be putting the auto top-off together soon. I'm tagging along to see what's up...

6. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

I've got two similar switches that I am waithing to install in my sump/refugium. Will be interesting to see if I run into the same problem. Sorry, no help her Dave!

7. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

I just got 4 float switches for 20 bucks on ebay again.
    I will just replace mine and go from there.
    This is how I have mine setup below and use rigid tubing and 2 quick disconnects (picture on left side).

This works great well the last switch lasted for over 6 months but for 5 bucks there is no better.

The pump is a Rio 600 not an 800. I use the 800 for the refugium I made.

8. Click Here!

9. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Wire the float switch

1. Get a extension cord. Now Cut only one of the wires. It does not matter which one but only cut 1.
    This cut need to be where you want to connect the float switch. The float switch wires are only 2 feet long so make sure your extension cord will reach the wall outlet and the pump in the bucket.

2. Strip the wires on the cut you just made on the extension cord.

3. Now with the wire striped on the extension cord put one of the wires from the float switch together with it and twist them together. Do the same thing with the other wire from float switch with the other bare wire from the extension cord and twist on some wire caps.

4. I put a small plastic box around the connected wires for protection and tie it up with plastic ties.

5. Thats all. Now put the float switch in your sump where you want the water level to be and connect your pump to the extension cord. Now plug in the extension cord to you power source (wall outlet).

6. When the float is pushed downwards the pump should turn on and you should hear this.

Any questions?

10. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Fabulous info. Dave! You answered all my questions and then some. Will get my float switch up and running along with my sump!

11. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

I hope this helps someone as I myself was wondering how the float switch worked. It is really simple.

Follow the force Luke!

12. seawillow

seawillow Coral Banded Shrimp

Nautilus...those directions are great...I'm putting together the exact same one, but the directions were a little sketchy as far as tieing in the float switch. You explanied it great. Thanks, hope I can do that better than adding my sig.......oh, oh....Seawillow working with electricity....scary thought, huh!!!