Flatworm sighting!!

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by GraviT, Sep 15, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GraviT

GraviT Coral Banded Shrimp

While spending some time staring aimlessly into my refugium and observing my lovely gathering of 'pods, I discovered a flatworm cruising around on the inside! When should I consider this a problem and deploy the Salifert flatworm bomb? I'm sure if there is 1, there is bound to be more. [smiley=uzi.gif]

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

You should only consider them a problem when you have a blanket of them covering your sand, rock and corals. They are harmless but if you have sps corals, they can block the corals from the light, indirectly doing them harm. It's very often that a flatworm population will explode, then crash. This is what happened to me. If they become a problem for you, rather than chemical treatment, keep your tank free of detritus as much as possible, increase water circulation in the areas that they're converging and siphon them out when doing your water changes. They can be a pain in the *** but they won't cause you any serious problems except as mentioned before.

4. GraviT

Cool, thanks amcarrig! I don't have any SPS, as I'm too cheap to spend the money on MH ::). I'll keep an eye on the little buggers. So, now I'll stop trying to get behind my tank and into a good enough position to suck the freak up with a turkey baster! Being over 6' tall has it's disadvantages sometimes! [smiley=smartass1.gif]

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Well cry me a river....ever have to get on a stepstool with aquarium tongs to reach something that has fallen on the sandbed of your tank?! No, because you're not 5' 3.5" tall are ya?! :)

PS. You don't need MH to keep sps...I've been doing it for years under VHO....shhhhh....don't tell anyone ;)

6. GraviT

Ok, lets not get bitter now! ;D

Hrmm, maybe I'll try an SPS frag high up in the tank sometime. If it's aquacultured and inexpensive, I won't feel quite as guilty if it doesn't make it.

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Bitter? No. Short? Yes :)

If you decide to try sps, a great "starter" coral would be a montipora digitata. Fast grower and very hardy :)

8. Click Here!

9. shawnz28

shawnz28 3reef Sponsor

10. saltyfish922

saltyfish922 Feather Duster

Shawn...your tank rocks!!! Very nice.

[smiley=thumbs_up1.gif]

11. shawnz28

shawnz28 3reef Sponsor

Thanks, that was my old tank that I tore down about a year ago. these were the most recent pics which were tanks 6 months or so before I took it down http://www.geocities.com/z28shawn/2newpics.html It was getting a little out of control and I had some funky algae(cant think of the name of it off the top of my head but it starts with a d) that I could not control among things so I took it down. My new one 120 which there is a couple of pics in my gallery from a month or two ago has been set up since April.

well better get back to work it is 1:30am and the new store opens in the morning and we still aren't done! So much work so little time!

12. GraviT

So, as I'm running 4 watts per gal of PC, not VHO, do you think it might be worth a try?