Flatworm Infestation

Discussion in 'Coral Diseases' started by Lilou, Jul 14, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Lilou

Lilou Astrea Snail

Per my last thread someone identified the reddish spots as flatworms. They are multiplying rapidly and I am infested with them now. I only have a 10 gallon tank and not sure how to proceed. Some one recommended tweezers but am having an awful time catching them without hurting the corals. They keep sliming away :eek:. Maneuvering the big turkey baster is prooving to be just as inefficient. All I do is suck up water and the worms stay comfortably attached to my corals and rocks.

I managed to get rid of the ones on the glass by squishing them with my finger.

I am worried that if I put the Flatworm Exit product in and kill them all it will cause too much toxin for the inhabitant of my tank.

I wish I knew they were worms earlier... I thought it was a pesky algae! :-[

H E L P ... Pretty please!

2. Click Here!

3. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Do the Flatworm EXit treatment ASAP or worse might happen.

4. Lilou

Lilou Astrea Snail

The drops are in. Stay tuned.

5. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Do a freshwater dip with your corals that are infected!!!

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

And stop squishing them :)

7. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

If they are acoel flatworms, Chelidonura genus nudibranchs feed on them. Wrasses are too big for a ten gallon tank, but a nudibranch or two might do just fine.

8. Click Here!

9. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

I have read extensively about these little buggers and there is allot out there to read believe me! An what I have found is that Some people say "Kill them at all costs" and some say "leave them alone, their populations tend to shoot up until overload, and then they crash".

I personally tried flateworm exit when I had them in my 16 gallon, it did a nice job of killing them, but then a few weeks later they came bake with a vengeance. I then bought a Six Line and not because of the flat worms in fact I had never heard that they ate the till just recently. But after I bought it they slowly disappeared and I haven't seen them in 5 or 6 months.

Two weeks ago my Six line decided to go carpet surfing, My he RIP! But the really sick part about this is guess what I found in the tank the other day... Flat worms and a bunch of them I might add! So I guess its out to the store for another Six line, hope this one will stay in the tank....

10. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Yeah, what she said, it helps them spread, or at least thats what I have read...

11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

It does help them spread in that the little pieces that are created by the squishing will grow into new worms.

12. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

My lfs said the same thing - they overpopulate then crash and just vanish, but he also has some of these magic nudis on order too.