Flat worms??help

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Piano10, Dec 30, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Piano10

Piano10 Aiptasia Anemone

I was just looking at my 10g IM tank which is having an issue with tons of micro bubbles from the pump(cleaned out the pump and since then it shoots out tons of bubbles) and noticed a few brownish flat shaped "bugs"...i think I have flatworms.

There is none in my 15g which is good.

There aren't a lot of these guys(yet) in the 10g, not sure how we got tbem because they weren't there yesterday and nothing new was added???

Any suggestions for getting ridif them before they are a problem?

2. Click Here!

3. scajeo

scajeo Sea Dragon

I'm having a bout with flat worms right now and dipping and basting them once a week with CoralRX. Although I'm getting them the dip doesn't get the eggs so it's a time process.
    Is it possible to take a picture and post it?

4. Piano10

Piano10 Aiptasia Anemone

Been trying but the camera focuses on the micro bubbles..grrr.

So far I have seen only about 10 and on the glass only. I think I will have to go with Saliferts flatworm RX, if I can find it locally but I want to make sure it is flat worms first.

5. cody3819

cody3819 Bubble Tip Anemone

A six line wrasse should eat them ifbim not mistaken. I would not put any chemicals in my tank unless needed 100%. Double check me but I truly believe a six line will take care of this.

scajeo likes this.
  6. scajeo

scajeo Sea Dragon

^+1 I agree with Cody about not putting chems. in unless 100% needed. Identification is the key. As with most species though the 6 line CAN be aggressive. My experience, once I let a fish go in my DT it's impossible to catch unless it's lethargic, be sure anything you put in your DT is something you want to keep for the long haul.

cody3819 and Vinnyboombatz like this.
  7. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

+1 6 lines can be a worse problem then Flatworms.

Piano10 and cody3819 like this.
  8. Click Here!

9. granocompany

granocompany Astrea Snail

I had very healthy six wrasse, she eat amph, stars, snails.... but never try flat worms. Only after adding file fish worms, aiptasia were gone but file fish started to eat my LPS when hungry. He has to be fed every day. I have no fish at the moment because I like my amph,stars snails,shrimps. My tank day and night,like motorway, with those creatures, and corals allways have live food. Sometime I still have one or two worms on the front glass and remove them manually, but don't press them, they are very toxic.
    File fish was very cool, just video left

cody3819 likes this.
  10. Piano10

Piano10 Aiptasia Anemone

Flatworm rx is reefsafe and many have used it with no ill effects as long as you syphon out the flatworms once they die. Flatworms are toxic and reproduce quickly. There death in a tank can wipe out the tank.

There is no known species which actually eats them.

There seems to be very limited options in getting rid of them: flatworm rx, completely redoing the whole tank, or taking the chance on a 6 line.

I don't think a 6 line wrasse in a 10g is a wise choice for many reasons.

everything I have read... its a rumor that 6 lines will definitely eat flatworms, most have seen them not touch them but get stuck with the fish in their tank.

The best...not knowing how you got them since I have added nothing to the tank:(

cody3819 likes this.