Flame Hawk, Is he OK ?

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by techno2, May 31, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

So my Flame HAwk has lost some of his Red Color, appears to be gasping, and has some sort of white thingies on his body. I cant tell whether it is scales falling off or worm typ things on and or under the skin.

HEre is a photo, not that good though. It seemes the eye sees more than the camera.

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll305/double2mk/flamehawk.jpg

Other than that he seemes fine. Interact well, eats good, ect. This has happened over the last week or so.

Tankmates appear fine.

No changes in params, still slightly detectable Am, N2, and N3

Any ideas ?
    I will keep an eye on him but Im not sure if I should treat or not.

2. Click Here!

3. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

I have a flame hawk myself and after the lites are out for the nite if i turn them on hes all discolored and spotty like yours. The only difference between mine and yers is that yer hawks fins look ragged....maybe someone stressing him out? Ich?

4. sssnake

sssnake Montipora Digitata

These should be zero. Perhaps this may be the problem?

A water change wouldn't hurt. Good luck and I hope things turn out OK!

5. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Either he has some kind of disease, like ick, or someone is stressing him out. If you have a QT I would put himin there. Just make sure to do it when the lights are off as to not to add to the stress. Luna

6. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

I wish it were that simple. I can change the water till the cows come home, my numbers are always the same.

I am working some plans to try and better the filtration system, but for now it would appear that i am stuck with the params that I have.

Hopefully they are low enough not to cause issues. I thought the tank mates like the CBS and shrooms were more sensitive to these numbers and they have been fine.

7. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

I dont right now but i copuld set one up easy enough. The problem is catching this guy, he is lighting fast.

I have QT others in the past and never had luck, i have had more luck just treating the main tank.

I cant tell if the white thingies are scales falling off, worm like things, or what. My guess is scales falling off or protruding. Some times he looks worse than other.

8. Click Here!

9. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

OK, So I treated with Seachem Para Guard and I think the Flame Hawk is doing better. I do not see the scales falling off and he has some color back and is breathing more normally. What was the likley culprit ?

Does anyone else have a Flame Hawk ?

Does yours sleep upside down at the top of the tank ? Every night when the lights go out, up he goes. Upsidedown and at the top.

Kooky..