Urgent Flame angel "tail whipping" new fish!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Toallhisdoom, Jun 15, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

So i got a new male mandarin and my flame angel keeps going up and like rubbing its tail against him. I thought i saw the flame nip at him but did not have a good view so not sure. Is this tail whip a sign of agression???

2. Click Here!

3. Toallhisdoom

Now both my coral beauty and flame are rubbing their butts on him! And then as soon as my kole tang sees them he chases them away. This is just on going. Im glad the tang is protecting him. Haha

4. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Still the first day with the new resident in the tank?

LIghts off during the day helps them acclimate to each other also.

My Dwarf Angels (3)- pretty much stay non aggressive in my DT.

I hope all is well in yours!

5. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

what size is the tank? you have 2 aggressive dwarf angels in your tank, they are going to be far from kind to any newcomers and that can be especially bad with a sensitive fish such as a mandarin. i would suggest getting an in tank acclimator so the fish can get used to the sight of the mandarin without toughing him, leave him in there for a few days while they get used to him then let him out. also changing around the rockscape wouldnt hurt. ive heard of even public aquariums using this method, or even a tank divider where they will acclimate the fish into, say, a shark tank. so after the fish is finally introduced into the tanka fter the divider is lifted the shark is perfectly fine with its company while the shark is being fed practically the same kind of fish but this one is left alone.

6. Toallhisdoom

ohhh ok cool! well it was just weird because they wernt really attacking him, just tail slapping him! hahha was kind of amusing tho, and the kole does protect him. He is the boss of the tank.

And it is a 75gal DT with a 30gal sump/fuge