Flame Angel Picking at Rock

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by adam, Dec 1, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

I tried today a piece of green seaweed attached to my rock and so far I have not seen him eat it. I threw in some frozen brine w/garlic and he did not go to it either. Any more ideas or will it just take time.

2. Click Here!

3. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

It took my coral beauty about a month to start eating the food that I would feed it. It will make a living picking algae off of the rocks until it decides to take prepared food.

4. Stevet86

Stevet86 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Mine will pick at rocks all day and will take the flake food I put in. He will occasionally eat the algae when he is in the mood.

5. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

To add on to what I said, mine took nothing for about a month, then it started to take flake food, then fresh table shrimp and scallop and now it takes everything. In my experience to get a fish onto frozen it helps to start with finely chopping table shrimp, scallop and other fresh seafood. All my fish love that.

6. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

Flame Angel

I tried a piece of flake but my Angel swims only mid to low level in the tank so he cant even see it. The algae strip I see is only being eaten by the hermits.
    Adam

7. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

Flame Angel

What exact flake food does yours eat?

8. Click Here!

9. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

Flame Angel

When you say fresh shrimp and scallop do you mean uncooked stuff at the foodstore? How about live brine?

10. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Your angel can most definitely see it;). Did you ask your fish store to feed the fish before they bagged it up?

11. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

Flame Angel

I actually forgot to have them feed it. Even if I did he might have ate because their was no LR for him to pick at in the LFS

12. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

I mean uncooked from the grocery store or fish market. My flake is Omega One natural protein formula. Chop up the shrimp and other seafood until its about the size of brine. I've never tried live brine, just frozen.