Flame angel has ich

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by GAZBO, Jun 25, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GAZBO

GAZBO Fire Shrimp

I always stayed away from flame angels do to the high chances of getting ich and well I finally decided to go ahead and pick one up this Saturday and sure enough he now has Ich. All the other fish show no signs of ich and doing great. I guess my question is are they like blue hippo tangs and if I keep stress down and increase feedings with garlic added will he be able to beat this on his own or do I need to do more. My blue hippo got it real bad when I got the tank moved and set up and he finally beat it by increased feedings and keeping my hands out of the tank. I do have two cleaner shrimp and a cleaner wrasse hopefully they will help him out he is steal swimming and scavaging for food and not showing signs he is sick.

2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

4. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

I would try the method you mention first. If it gets worse or other fish get it you may want to consider other options.

5. GAZBO

GAZBO Fire Shrimp

thanks guys I just wanted to make sure that what I was planning on doing was the best for him like I said not to familiar with angels and how well they can beat this once they get it.
    Is it true that your tank always has ich in it and long as your fish are stress free and healthy they wont get it.

6. DevinH

DevinH Montipora Capricornis

I can't say whether or not your tank always has ich, but if the fish are healthy and stress free they won't get it.. Or shouldn't anyway.

My current stint of ich from all my fish is from a flame angel that died a few days later. :banghead:

7. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

with proper feeding its how i fought off ich in my tank. as far as i know cleaner shrimps and wrasse (who are very hard to keep alive) dont fight off ich, they eat dead skin and other matter present on the fish but not the cyst of ich.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. GAZBO

GAZBO Fire Shrimp

He is looking alot better today I dont know if it is from the cleaner shrimp and wrasse or not but there is only a couple of spots on him and he is steal swimming around scavaging for food, so far so good maybe it will be a quick battle that will be won.

10. GAZBO

GAZBO Fire Shrimp

I not going to disagree but when my blue hippo had ich he would hang out with the cleaner shrimp most of the day and there would be hardly any white spots on him and then next morning he would covered again and by night time he would cleaned and have no spots. And went on for a few days before it just cleared up completely

11. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Congrats on the fish getting better, may this trend continue.

12. DevinH

DevinH Montipora Capricornis

The fish will go around a cleaner shrimp, however the shrimp cannot gain access to the ich. The ich is under the fishes skin with a protective layer also.

1 person likes this.