Fixtures < $100

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Anthos312, Jun 25, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

although I'm sure people would be mad at me for still using wpg rule, I will say 4 watts per gallon. Mainly because the anemones are so picky, be sure you know what you are getting into when you get one. The corals you said could probably live with 3 watts per gallon halide or t5.

2. Click Here!

3. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

Aquarium Lighting for Freshwater and Reef Systems: Nova Extreme Compact SLR T-5 Fixtures

36" 78 watt 2 bulb t5h0 fixture $79.99 plus shipping

and when you eventually have cash to replace the stock bulbs, go with 1 ati blue plus bulb and 1 giessman aquablue+ bulb. those bulbs will give you the best color and par for growth out of that fixture.

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578 3733 13821 21452&pcatid=21452

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/Bulbs/39_Watt/39W_Blue_Plus_T5_HO_Fluorescent_by_ATI

4. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

The nova Night Rida suggested would work real well. for a nem I dont know. If you want to save up and get a halide since your tank isnt very big, Viper Clips work well, I have a 150W one that I use on my 46g.

Just remember now a days its really not fully watts per gallon, its the par involved in the bulb.

5. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

well your budget is really limiting your choices.. but if I did find a JBJ K-1 250W Metal Halide Retrofit Kit with FREE XM Bulb. for $99 plus shipping. you would have to make a wood canopy probly 18-24" tall with 3 fans, vents, open back, and pray you dont need a chiller.. ;) or make a box w/ open bottom to house the mh bulb,socket,reflector and hang it from the ceiling about 2-3 ft above tank..

JBJ K-1 250W Metal Halide Retrofit Kit with FREE XM Lamp!!

JBJ K-1 250W Metal Halide Retrofit Kit with FREE XM Lamp!! - K-1-250P

6. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

halide is out of my reach and i dont want to do a retrofit. first question on that 36" nova extreme light, is it HO and secondly i read reviews saying the fan was VERY loud. any other recommendations? thanks for the help everyone, it means a lot.

7. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

that size unit in a 2 bulb configuration shouldnt have a fan, I think only 4 bulbs fixtures have a fan. yes its t5h0. only thing its on backorder from them for 1 month. the 30" is in stock, but Id wait for the 36" model (more watts) and get those 2 ati/giessman bulbs with it. you'll be able to keep everything except high light demanding sps,clams, and most anemones.

8. Click Here!

9. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

yea i want a 36" model for when i upgrade tanks, 36" gives a lot of different tank dimension possibilities compared to a 30" (since i dont know what size tank i want when i move).

10. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

well that the one for you then. happy I could help.

11. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

I disagree, I have 3 of these light fixtures, 2- 4 bulb units on my 75 Gallon Display tank and 1 - 4 bulb unit on my 30 Breeder tank. They are good lights and I have less that 400 invested in the three fixtures. I do however recommend replacing the stock bulbs with new ones after about 6 to 8 months.

Here are pictures of both tanks, first the left side of my 75

[​IMG]

And the right.
    [​IMG]

This is the 30 gallon breeder shortly after I set it up.
    [​IMG]

12. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

all of aqua traders products are out of stock? did they shut down because i was looking at some of those same ballasts.....