Fixtures < $100

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Anthos312, Jun 25, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

Any recommendations for a good fixture under $100 for a reef fixture thats 36" or 30". My T5 right now just seems like **** to everyone elses pictuers lol......

2. Click Here!

3. blumoon reefers

blumoon reefers Millepora

how many bulbs do you have in your T5 fixture? If more than one, you could try different bulb combinations to get a color you like more. Personally, I like T5's for the benefits, less heat and electricity usage. If you wanted to you could add an LED fixture that would give you a little bit of the shimmer that you get from metal halides.

PS: and we all think that everyone else's tanks look better.....well, at least I do :)

4. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

i have a 10000k and actinic bulbs. it just simply is not bright enough for my liking. All the colors in the tank are dull. Bear in mind this is T5 (not high output).... I want a fixture with more watts that would allow me the potential to grow nicer corals. And preferably a fixture that is 30" or 36" to allow me an upgraded tank in the near future. Give me some advice reefers!!! thankyou

5. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

just get a brighter fixture.
    you won't find a "good one"< 100 dollars you may find a ok one.

6. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

well what consists of a brighter fixture. simple just a fixture with more watts? there are so many different brands, types... im not sure what to get. I know i should probably at least get a T5 HO or VHO fixture. Any good brands?

7. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

yes simply more watts but stick to t5ho or halide. as watts are a measure of energy consumed and each lighting technology converts watts to light at different efficency. Halide and T5 are the most efficient. Stay away from vho(assuming you mean t12 bulbs big ones, not vho t5), Its very outdated.

8. Click Here!

9. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

well im worried abuot using metal halide. I have heard they are very expensive/hot and i dont want a house fire....

10. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

They won't start a fire unless you put something on them like a cloth, or do something stupid like that. Many warehouse's, sport fields, and parks use halides for lighting do you think they would use them if they caught on fire flippantly?

11. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

so if i just wanted to grow some nice stuff like green star poylps, pulsing xenias, some leathers, rose bubble tip anenome, how many watts/what would u suggest...

12. stoney waters

stoney waters Fire Shrimp

yup, and i also think some of them have heating sensors for when they get to hot they shut off,but im not sure.