Fitting LED's Under a Canopy

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Devon, Nov 28, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Devon

Devon Astrea Snail

I have a a clearance of 8 inches from the inside of my canopy to the water line. I notice that most high end led setups require a lot of space from the water line to the fixture. Just want some opinions on what other people have done. I'm not worried about price just want the best possible setup for SPS,LPS. I'm currently using two 250W M/H. Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Devon

Devon Astrea Snail

4. Romie

Romie Feather Duster

i wish i had an answer for you but, i don't i'm actually needing to do this as well and didn't even think about clearance!! good post and i hope you get some responses i will be watching as well

5. salsalito25

salsalito25 Stylophora

Here's a Diy link i did. I know i dont have a hood but my leds are with in like 5 inches from water. That being said i am sure if you are good at shade tree engineering you can make a frame out of light wieght angle metal in your hood to mount your leds that you choose. Hope this help'sa touch..

Link: http://www.3reef.com/forums/i-made/diy-light-mount-tao-tronics-led-135680.html

Edit: I forgot to mention i was burning a 150w hqi on this tank befor i upgraded and Hqi was about the same hieght off the tank.

Best Of luck

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  6. jesmontb

jesmontb Flamingo Tongue

the main reason for lights needing to be usually around 12" from the surface of the water is two main reasons, spread and power. they are usually too powerful than we even need and need the height in order to get a nice spread, so you will end up needing this as far as LED's, probably at least 2 fixtures depending on the length of the tank, not sure of your size as it wasnt said, and have them be dimmable so that you are able to turn down the intensity alot so that it wont be too much being that close to the water, this will allow you to not overpower and to get enough spread.

7. Devon

Devon Astrea Snail

My tank is 4 foot wide and 2 foot deep.

8. Click Here!

9. jesmontb

jesmontb Flamingo Tongue

ya thats what i would do then, two fixtures spread evenly that are dimmable.

10. Romie

Romie Feather Duster

Most of the led fixtures 120 watt online are 2.5" tall so it shouldn't be too hard to fit them

11. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

You have to remember that most of them run a fan which is located on top. In that case you can't mount them directly to the top of the canopy, unless you cut the top of the canopy to allow air flow.

12. Devon

Devon Astrea Snail

Is there anyone that has done this? Some pictures would be great!