Fission Nano Cube Skimmer

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by glampka, Feb 19, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. glampka

glampka Coral Banded Shrimp

I'm thinking about setting up a 4 gallon nano for my wife's office at work. Anyone have any experience with the Fission nano Cube skimmer?

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

No personal experience.

However, one vendor (I think Marine Depot) was selling them for half price within a month of carrying them. That can't be a good sign.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

5. MDeth

MDeth Feather Star

If you havent done it already...I've read a lot of reviews recently that it doesnt skim a thing :(

I guess the skimmate looks like water with a slight yellow/green tint. There are a lot of reviews on Nano-Reef.

6. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

What would you plan on keeping in the 4 gallon nano? If you just planned on keeping some mushrooms and zoos... something as simple as that, you could get away with not having a skimmer! I know that normally I would recommend that everyone have a protein skimmer associated with their tank however being that the tank is so small and the bioload is not going to be to dramatic, I would try going without a skimmer! The local pet shop here in town has a 9gallon nano which they have skimmerless and have had it up and running for well over a year now with alot of success!
    As long as you have good biological filtration, and a reduced bioload, check water parameters and are very strict with feeding, you could be successful, or should I say, your wife could be successful with having a 4 gallon tank IMO!

7. glampka

glampka Coral Banded Shrimp

Thanks CR (by chance you a follower of the other Coral Reefers??) Anywho, plans have changed & the 4 gallon has now tripled in size to a 12! Cube should be here anyday. I was able to get my hands on a used Fision & plan on using it for the 12. Tank will have LR, sand, probably some shrooms & zoos with 3 fish.

8. Click Here!

9. MDeth

MDeth Feather Star

let me know how the fission works, i might get one for my 14g

10. JediReefer

JediReefer Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I had the fission and all it did was make bubbles lol...

I would either go for the AquaC or get her something like a 12g nano cube and use one of these.

11. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I'm thinking you are referring to Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefer Band huh?!!!
    Heck yeah-My favorite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck with the tank and make sure to add coral and fish after your tank has cycled completely unless you are using Damsels for your cycleing of the tank etc.!
    You should have fun with it as well as your wife!

12. MDeth

MDeth Feather Star

Yeah, a couple of people have said they make "green tea" and others have said all it did was start a bubble farm :(