Fishtank leak...carpet help!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by dorian, Oct 25, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dorian

dorian Feather Duster

Ok tank leaked probably 2-3G onto carpet. :-/

Please help me with getting out!!!!!

Right now Im using a wetvac, towels, and a space heater. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Click Here!

3. tcmemphisbbq

tcmemphisbbq Spaghetti Worm

Wet vac - try to pry up the carpet between the carpet and the pad, around a vent or something if possible - you need to get air flow in between those so the pad dries. Beleive me - ive jacked up ours more than once and had a restoration company show me how to keep it from turning into mold... get airflow in there asap... I used a brick or a 2x6 to prop up the carpet and blew air into it...

4. tcmemphisbbq

tcmemphisbbq Spaghetti Worm

2-3 gal shouldnt be bad, my first time was about 10 and the second 20 gallons :( lol dont ask how.... duh!

5. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

big fan to dry after u shampoo u should be fine

6. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

Do NOT use the space heater. Just use normal fans or dehumidifiers to dry it out. I work for an insurance co. I have to tell people with water damage to not use heat, it can cause more damage.

7. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

If a large amount of water seeped under the stand you're going to have to break down the tank and move the stand to dry out the carpet and padding. If it was only 2 gallons you may be ok. Been there, done that. I did the best I could without moving the tank. A couple days later it stunk to high heaven. I had to break it down and replace the carpet. I had a lot more water. My washing machine overflowed.

8. Click Here!

9. nctinter

nctinter Skunk Shrimp

I agree on the towels and fans. No heater. If you can pull the carpet back and get to the padding ...I have cut the padding where wet and taken it outside to dry. Then put it back in when the fan had dried everything. Or you can cut it out and replace with new stuff, it is pretty cheap. This is really not necessary though if you have fans and some time

10. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

11. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

lmao

12. aesp533262

aesp533262 Spaghetti Worm

I just had about 20 gallons of saltwater "mysteriously" soak my carpet....cough cough.....used a carpet cleaner w/ steam to soak up most. Let sit for a hour or two. Ran it again and again. I used the "DAMP RID" containers from walmart to help suck up moisture out of the room. In like 2 days container was full. Baking soda helped subdue any mildew smells from forming, although we did notice some smell the next day. Air the room out and rinse and repeat and you should be fine. Do stick you nose to the carpet to make sure there isnt any bad smells still present when its dry to the touch. Hope this helps.....