Urgent Fishing swimming top of tank??

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Ashevillian, Aug 17, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

Hey everybody I just purchased and added my first fish to my reef tank, a 1.5in Ocellaris Clown [ nemooooo :) ]. My tank has been running for about 6months with only LR and of course the loyal and overzealous clean up crew. Well yesterday I purchased him from my LFS and drip acclimated for about 65 minutes, placed him in the tank and all seemed well, he was swimming and investigating his new home. However upon waking up this morning he was swimming at the very top front-left corner of the tank and I'm just not sure if this is normal behavior for a clown or not? Was he sleeping, is he sick?

My water parameters are
    temp 76º
    water flow is 30.6(?) = 918gph x 29g
    gravity 1.025
    calcium 420ppm
    nitrates 0
    nitrites 0.01
    ammonia 0

i'm hoping this is normal behavior because as I was watching him swim in the tank, he started to come down more and look at me while i watched him

2. Click Here!

3. Ashevillian

Seems to be doing okay??? I wonder if he was sleeping in a low current spot since he is still very new to the tank - Just hate to stress any animal out for my own pleasure, it's not fair to the animal to be unhappy. I'm going to do a 16% water change this afternoon and hopefully that'll make things a little more relaxing?

I hate how salt tanks are sometimes like throwing a dart with a blindfold on.... estimate, shoot, and hope for the best!!!!! .

[​IMG]

In picture: Astrea snail with hitchhiking Asternia star, small Condylactis Anemone, Fighting Conch on sand bed, and of course the Ocellaris Clown fish

4. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

He looks ok in the picture.double check water temp with a second thermometer bc alot of thermometers we have in the hobby aren't so good.also look at his gills to see if they are red colored,with would be signs of ammonia burn from being in a bag to long. When ever I get a new fish I add a splash of sachem prime to the bucket first then put the fish in then drip him.this will help with ammonia build up with worsens with the ph change due to co2 build up and o2 depletion.

5. Ashevillian

I have that sachem stuff but I never like using chemicals you know? but i'll try that next time I acclimate a fish, his gills do not show any signs of redness and since I've had experience with fresh water fish illness the gills are usually the main spot I watch on a new fish, along with fin condition and density. could it be that he was just sleeping in a low current spot in the top corner by the glass? it hasn't even been 24 hours since I've introduced him so I'm hoping he is just new to his surroundings and still unsure if any predators are lurking.

6. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

Sounds like normal clown behavior to me.My pair spend every night at the top corner of the tank,been doing so for over a year.They may or may not host something in the tank and sleep there or sometimes it might just be an area of the tank that they claim as they're own.

7. cybe

cybe Plankton

^ Likewise, my two snooze in the upper corner of the tank together also :)

8. Click Here!

9. Ashevillian

okay cool, just wasn't sure, this is my first salt fish and it sure is beautiful. i can see why everyone has them in their tanks. the way he swims is weird, its like he is slithering through the water. and yes i have read that being captive bred they may never host anything, but its still adds a gorgeous color to the purples greens and pinks

10. Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer Millepora

From the comments above everything sounds fine. My pair sleep in all sorts of strange places and swam at the top of the tank for the first couple weeks. If it were to be swimming at the top of the water "gasping" for air that's when it would be time to be concerned.