Fishes dying dont know why help pls

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Teknine, Jan 14, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Shackman23

Shackman23 Teardrop Maxima Clam

My one question is what is your Alkalinity?! i have lost fish b/c my alkalinity was way off, and it didnt effect my PH at all, i would for sure check that, if you dont have the test kit go to your LFS and get one, i recommend sail-fert, they are expensive but are very accurate

2. Click Here!

3. tank1970

tank1970 Bubble Tip Anemone

Nitrite: less then 0.25 - Not an expert here - but from what I have read this is toxic to all life forms - and worse when combined with ammonia.
    IMO - you might have stressed your bio load with the amount of fish at once - poo machines and will increase ammonia in turn nitrite.
    Take it slow add 1 fish per month. Also having good flow helps - what type of flow do you have now?

4. Teknine

Teknine Astrea Snail

Temperature: 80
    PH: 8.3
    Ammonia: less then 0.25
    Nitrite: less then 0.25
    Nitrate:less then 5.0
    Salinity: 1.22

Test kits you own: yes
    Liquid or Strips: liquid
    Brand Name: API Saltwater Masters tests kit
    Are they Expired?: no

Tank size? 60

Reef, fish only or, freshwater? Reef

How long has your tank been set-up? 3 months

Live rock? yes
    How much? 80lbs
    Did you recently add some? no

Filtration. yes
    Type? sump
    Protein skimmer? yes

5. Teknine

Teknine Astrea Snail

yea that might be it your right everything is fine the water is perfectly clean i think its just over stocked to and there getting stressed thanks alot guys

6. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

butterflyfish shouldnt be in anything less than 90 gallons, having them in such a small tank probably was causing an overload on the tank.

7. Teknine

Teknine Astrea Snail

1.)Pictures are vital to diagnosing problems? YouTube - 60g reef tank

2.)How long has the tank been running? 3-4 months
    3.)Water are your exact water chemistry numbers? yea i been doing tests constantly unless my tests kit is showing incorrect results
    4.)What size tank and equipment you have? 60gtank 65g penn plax cascade sump 65g coral life skimmer

8. Click Here!

9. Teknine

Teknine Astrea Snail

everything is the same in the video just added 4 anemonies

10. country1911

country1911 Coral Banded Shrimp

Yeah a video is worth a million words... 2 of those being: over-stocked. That is WAY to many fish for that tank. I have a 72 gallon and only have 4 fish. You have 4 tangs, a dwarf angel and butterfly fish in there, those are all big fish that need a lot of room.

Plus did I read that you added 4 anemones?!? Probably should have started with one.

There are any number of things that could be causing your deaths. I am going to say your stocking list is causing your high ammonia, nitrite and eventually high nitrate. It is also probably causing deaths.

11. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

even if that tank in the video was 150 gallons that would be pushing it with that amount of stocking. its ridiculous and not at all good for the fish. follow the rules. you shouldnt even have one tang in a tank that size and a butterflyfish shouldnt even be in there. and four anemones is practically animal abuse. you shouldnt even have one with such stocking problems. they all will perish soon as your nitrates and ammonia will skyrocket, if they havent already, the two deaths were just the beginning.

12. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Several things here. API Ammonia and Nitrite test kits aren't measured in "less than X". They have values. I have found both of API's Ammonia and Nitrite tests to be accurate. Your posted results don't mesh and sound more like test strip values.

Any reading over 0 is critically bad to fish - they will die. There is no getting around it. None.

Your tank has not finished cycling. There shouldn't be any more than 1 fish in there at this point. You will never get your ammonia and nitrites back to 0 with that load of fish.

Anemones take very specialized care. They die, slowly, from the inside out. They "look fine" for months until they suddenly wither away without warning. If your tank isn't mature and stable, the anemones will die.

Your tank is not stable at all if you're having ammonia and nitrite readings.

Your tank will not become stable with that fish load.

I agree. Anyone suspect someone's messing with us?