Fish Tank too heavy for second Floor

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Rekon, Sep 8, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Rekon

Rekon Plankton

I have purchased a 200 gallon fish tank with a built in filtration system. It has more than 200 pounds in rocks. I had to hire 5 people to get the fish tank to my second floor at my house to its resting place the loft area. While visiting a local fish store the owner told me that there is an imminent danger that my fish tank could come crashing down onto my garage because of the weight of the fish tank. Could this actually happen? I never gave thought to this idea, however I guess I need to start asking questions before I finally setup. Better be safe than sorry. Any advise or comments will be greatly appreciated.
    Thank You

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Each gallon of SW weight 8.2# roughly. So basically your looking at around 2000# with the rock and not counting equipment, stand, sand......

I have absolutely no engineering skills, with that said you should probably consider placement carefully, age of building, support beams.......

4. 3snacks125

3snacks125 Plankton

Yes it could call a structural engineer to inspect the area and see if is stable to hold the weight. Better safe than sorry

5. Seancelebrity

Seancelebrity Feather Duster

Well here is the thing. 1 is your tank glass or acrylic. and if you are really worried find the lay out for your loft and once you find it find the support beams of that room if you put your tank on them you should be fine, but please dont quote me on this. i have been told with tanks that big to put it on the ground level but i have seen big tanks like that on support beams and you are fine.

6. reefnJeff

reefnJeff Pajama Cardinal

And to think I was worried about a 72g tank being to heavy for a 2nd floor, hahaha! Your talking a ton here almost, man that would scare me to death.

7. bnw614

bnw614 Astrea Snail

Corailline is right with the weight... See we had the same concern with our townhouse... We had always wanted a tank in our master... We have this built in spot where are 56' flat screen was hung but we thought it was the perfect spot for a tall tank... So we purchased a 50 gallon and set it up... We was told not to go any bigger because of the risk of it falling thru the floor into our formal living room... Is the garage underneath? Can you maybe get those metal... Im not sure what they are called... Others on here will be alot more help.... But i know my parents house had these tall metal support beams.. that u can adjust in the basement.. Maybe you could use them just to be on the safe side... go to lowes or home depot and ask they know what they are called... I would atleast myself do that...

8. Click Here!

9. bnw614

bnw614 Astrea Snail

Corailline do you know what im talking about? my parents house is older but has those metal or steel... they adjust at the top... u can even bolt them into the concrete... if i can get ahold of mom ill ask her what they are called

10. Salmo salar

Salmo salar Flamingo Tongue

You can pick up "jack posts" at home depot for about 47 bucks each. They are rated to 9400lb at full extention of 100 in. Im thinking if your tank is against a wall you shouldnt need more than 2 or 4.

11. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

I would definitely get a structural engineer before setting it up just to be safe.

However, If it's a single car garage you can probably get 3 6 x 6 post and place it across the top and the two holding it in place. If its a two car garage you would need four of them. What I would do is go in the attic in the garage if you have one measure out where the tank will end up and look at the structure. Glad I live in Florida most houses here are one story. However, I do miss having a basement.

12. bnw614

bnw614 Astrea Snail

thats what they are called jack posts... Sorry i just couldnt remember the name of them... Im 37 and i can always remember them being in the basement... My mom told me they had them put in for extra support for the house