Urgent Fish tank hood needed but really confused

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Craft kid21, Feb 24, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Craft kid21

Craft kid21 Banned

hey i need a fish tank hood ASAP i dont have enough money to keep up with water im only 15 and dont have income....i need a hood to slow the evaporation but i just got a piece of glass but it broke when i was cutting it. if i went to my LFS and got a hood which they sale. but the thing is that i have wires going into the tank for the heater and powerhead and a filter in the back and i dont have a sump and plus a T5 lighting which hangs on the tank and has screws that tighten up to just get it to stay. what are you guys advice or sugggestions on hoods or anything really???? thanks

2. Click Here!

3. ReefWizard

ReefWizard Coral Banded Shrimp

Go to local glass or window store and ask them if they can help you cut the shape, size you want for a small fee or possibly even if you buy the piece of glass from them.

BTW, you need to add fresh water to replace evaporated water. I suggest you make 2L bottle drip - cheap, easy and simply works.

4. billyboy2

billyboy2 Coral Banded Shrimp

I used some greenhouse siding...it's clear, ridgid and used to grow and made to filter as little light as possible. the good this is you can cut any shape out and i liked it alot....found it at homedepot or Rona...most home improvement stores. only downside is you trap gases inside the tank and prevent gas exchange. i don't reccomend a tight seal your tank needs to breathe! thats my best idea and it cost me about 15$ for a 4' x 8' sheet. use what you need and sell a piece to your friends

5. slocal

slocal Doot!

If you can't afford 25 cents a gallon for RO/DI water from a machine, you're in the wrong hobby. The last thing you want to do is cover your tank. Evaporation is your friend. It goes hand in hand with the gas-exchange process

1 person likes this.
  6. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Do you have money to fix the issues you looking to create with the hoods after you prohibit your gas exchange ?

Plexi from home depot is cheap and cut-able.... good luck.

1 person likes this.
  7. bama

bama Humpback Whale

+1 to the above.. dont get a hood.. Plus whatever money you would spend on a hood would be less than most cheap RO/DI units.. Check airwaterice.com for their economical unit.. Talk to your parents, show them some prices, and how much you will save over the long run, and ask them for a small loan to purchase one and your plan to pay them back.. I learned this early in my teens and it taught me some good lessons on repaying a loan for things out of your reach, and also will show your parents you want to be responsible while enjoying your hobby.. Give it a shot, even if they say no atleast you tried.. "a man misses 100% of the shots he doesnt take" Go for it!!

2 people like this.
  8. Click Here!

9. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

Great post Bama, I agree, it's worth a shot!

10. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I don't see a problem with tank covers. I have them and see no difference in any parameter. I used acrylic. However, i do have a sump, so the overflow helps with gas exchange, the skimmer helps and I have pretty good surface agitation. I also cut small holes to aid in air flow. If you need to use glass covers, most have plastic parts in the back that allow you to cut slots for various equipment.

11. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

LOL - yes you do....you clearly see "the problem" since you then stated your solution ! :)

I assume if he can't afford tops he more than likly doesn't have a skimmer.

12. slocal

slocal Doot!

Yes, but I'm assuming the OP doesn't since it isn't stated. The larger majority still don't use sumps, especially beginners (from what I read on these forums at least).

A cover on a tank with a substantial sump doesn't really make it a covered tank....

....did I just confuse myself?