Fish stuck in overflow/sump

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by denMk, Sep 28, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. denMk

denMk Flamingo Tongue

It's hard to get a good picture. There are two chambers on the left side of the sump. The back chamber - meaning it's by the wall behind the tank - the only openings are a circle at the top where the perforated drain pipe is inserted and a lip that allows the water that drains into that chamber to spill over into the media chamber, like a water fall. So I can't pull the perforated pipe out because it's too tall and hits the bottom of my tank before it's half out. So snaking flexible tubing through the overflow lip is my only option if I want to try to siphon the fish out.

Here's a couple pictures with the lid off the chamber. Click on the pics to enlarge.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. denMk

denMk Flamingo Tongue

Just an update. Tried the siphon approach and it didn't work. Using a wide enough tube for the fish to fit through he kept managing to get away from the end. I also tried pumping more water into the chamber to force him to the top and over the edge. That didn't work either. He's alive, and eating, so I guess unless I feel like taking the whole darn sump out I'll just keep making sure he's getting food for now.

Thanks for the advice.

4. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

If you really want him out, you could probably get him with a small hook and line with a mysis shrimp.

5. denMk

denMk Flamingo Tongue

Problem solved

Just wanted to share an update on the stuck goby.

I really didn't like the fact the goby was stuck in that chamber so Friday night I dismantled my 10 gal refugium, stuck it on a shelf and put everything back in it with the thought on Saturday I'd drain my sump, take it out and dump the goby out of the back chamber.

All the under tank commotion either spooked him OR he read my mind (whichever you would prefer :cheesy:) and Saturday morning when I opened my stand doors the goby had somehow swam out of the chamber and was laying on my filter floss with water pouring over him. He was alive. I got the floss out and dumped him into my main tank. He is now living under a rock with his pistol shrimp. I hope this is a happy ending. I've attached a picture. Hope you can see him through the patch of algae on the glass!

Attached Files: