Resolved fish removal

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by billielewis3, Nov 17, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. billielewis3

billielewis3 Gigas Clam

so i made the nub decision to buy a copperband while i had a yellow tang in the tank. and the YT will not stop attacking him, and i have no idea how to get him out (the yellow tang)

every time i put the net in the water he hides in the rocks, any advice is really helpful.

i dont think the copperband is willin to put up with this for too much longer. im hopin i can get teh yellow tang out of there and the CB will stop being so stressed.

please help

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You can try using a 2 liter soda bottle with the top cut off and inverted in the cut out section. Put food inside to attract it. Buy a fish trap or tear out the rocks to get the tang.

4. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

I have never had success with anything but tearing the tank apart.

5. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

The inverted bottle works, but it takes time. And half the time you catch the fish that you don't want. Aqua medic makes an awesome fish trap, but the fish has to be eating as well. your dilemma sounds like he wont be coming out if he doesnt have to. try putting a mirror on the tank, and see if the yellow tang is distracted by it's own reflection.

6. TritonsGarden

TritonsGarden 3reef Sponsor

Small fish hook with the barb filed off works wonders. Something about landing a yellow tang is very satisfying.

7. kwinter1

kwinter1 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

For starters I have never tried this. But you say every time you put the net in the fish disappears. Put the net (anchored) and leave it there for a few hours. Perhaps this could get the fish to find it not such a threat and come out. If this works you have a better chance of catching it. I haven't tried this could be wrong just trying to trouble shoot for you, but at least you have already broken the surface tension so you won't scare it by sticking the net in the water.

8. Click Here!

9. brannock_16

brannock_16 Ritteri Anemone

I have had the best luck right when the lights turn off and the fish freak out to find a spot for the night. I quickly get two nets in the tank, corner the fish, and lift him out.

Some fish are much more finicky, and require a tank tear down. Not fun, but always effective.

10. billielewis3

billielewis3 Gigas Clam

ended up deciding to to take out all my rocks, (well most of them) and then chased him with 2 nets and caught him. thanks for all the advice.

my buddy just picked up a 40 gallon tank, we filled that up with all the water idrained to get teh rocks out, i gave him about 10-15 pounds of my LR, and we gave the tang a new home in there untill we can find a more better palce for him. hes not that big and wont be in there for long, so no tang police please.

11. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You are absolved since this is a temporary arrangement.

Congrats on catching the fish, kudos for trying to create the best environment for your fish. Good luck with the Butterfly.

12. billielewis3

billielewis3 Gigas Clam

" absolved "

thats a good word