Fish Planning for my 120G

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Courtster, Nov 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Courtster

Courtster Feather Duster

So I finally have my 120g up and running. For now its going to be a FOWLR system until I'm sure I can keep all levels suitable for corals. I'm making a list of fish I would like to get over time, and would appreciate any input from you guys on compatibility and your experiences with the fish I'm looking at. The biggest deciding factor for me is color and compatibility. I plan on stocking at 1" to 3 or 4 gallons (30" to 40").

Currently I have:
    2x True Perc Clownfish = 6"

Will get list:
    1x Red Mandarin = 4"
    1x Tang (White Cheek, Powder Blue or Brown) = 9"

Undecided List:
    1x Kaudern's Cardinal = 3"
    2x Bicolor Pseudochromis = 6"
    1x Flame Angel = 4"
    1x Fairy Wrasse = 5"
    3x Anthias Trio = 10-12"
    2x 5x or 7x Blue Green Chromis = 6" 15" or 21"
    ( I would like a school of fish)

I know all of this would be overstocking the tank, so which ones do you think I should go with in the end? Of course I'm not going to go out and buy them all today, just planning ahead for the future. Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

2x percula clowns- they are a riot to watch
    1x red madarin- very beautiful, will add lots of color.
    1x tang- dont know much about them but more power too ya!
    5x green chromis- i like the schooling fish and these are easier than anthias
    1x flame angel-might nip at corals but will add a ton of color and movement to your aquarium.

do make sure that you have enough pods in youre tank bbefore you add the mandarin though.

4. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

I would do the anthias and the fairy wrasse if it were me, as long as you don't mind keeping up with the anthias' feeding schedule (they need to be fed multiple smaller meals ideally). Also depending what fairy wrasse you're talking about 5" is on the top end of the range, lots of them are more like 3" full grown.
    I personally don't like dwarf angels in tanks, too much risk of nipping when you get coral.
    Chromis a lot of times will whittle their numbers down to one so if you decide to go with them instead of anthias be prepared for that potential outcome.
    Pseudochromis can get to be aggressive, I personally wouldn't risk one.

My 2c

5. Courtster

Courtster Feather Duster

Yea this is the way I'm starting to lean. I've got a pretty healthy pod population already, but I'm going to wait a few more months to make sure the tank is saturated with them. The clowns are funny to watch :), so far always acting slightly different every evening I watch them.

How likely will the Flame Angel nip? Is it possible to keep them fed enough or prevent them from nipping?

6. Courtster

Courtster Feather Duster

I like the anthias because they aren't as common as chromis, but I forgot about their extra needs like more feeding. Might go the chromis route for their ease and hardiness, plus I don't have any fish their color int he plan, adn they are pretty to watch. How hard are fairy wrasse to take care of?

Really you've seen chromis kill off each other in a small school?

7. stonewilled

stonewilled Feather Duster

I'm gonna get a flame angel for my tank as soon as Liveaquaria has one from tahiti in stock. They are nice looking. Potters angel is really cool too.

8. Click Here!

9. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

Technically it's a shoal not a school ;) but I haven't personally, but almost every week I read another person who reports this. Do a search here on 3reef for "chromis" or "chromis died" or something like that and I'm sure you'll see lots of reports.
    Some groups seem to do fine for some people, others it just never works and they always end up with one or two left out of groups of 5-7.

10. bluetang08

bluetang08 Purple Spiny Lobster

My experience is limited but I can comment somewhat based on the fact that I own several of these fish in a 125g. I LOVE my WhitecheekTang but he IS aggressive and basically rules the tank. I have never had a problem with my flame nipping corals but even if he did I doubt I would get rid of him cause hes so beautiful. I have a purple psuedochromis and again have never encountered problems he just pretty much minds his own business and is also one of my more "socialable" fish when I approach the glass. I really don't like my green chromis I had the same idea as you wanting a school of fish but now that they're in my tank they just stay in the corner (Probably scared of the Whitecheek) so i regret getting them because they limit other possible future fish. I will suggest you consider a Scarlet Hawkfish they are full of character and I couldn't live without my Blue Hippo Tang he in my opinion is my most beautiful fish. Hope that helps!

11. Courtster

Courtster Feather Duster

Well I went with 5 chromis for now. I know they aren't the most beautiful and fairly common, but they are cheap and hardy. With me being new, I'd rather have those factors on my side. Put them in and after only about an hour, all 5 came out of hiding and started swimming together all evening. After a few nervous minutes of realizing the clownfish were nice, they were all playing together quite nicely. Very happy so far! I did notice one of the chromis pick at the smallest chromis a few times, I'll be watching to make sure they don't start picking each other off.

12. bama

bama Humpback Whale

good pick with the chromis. I like them as a fish.. nice and add good color..