Urgent Fish Loss

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by andru1313, Jun 17, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. andru1313

andru1313 Purple Spiny Lobster

Ok totally puzzled. In the past 3 days I have lost my blue spotted and my blue throat trigger.

My water perams are good. temp is good. Water is clear and corals are very happy. My other fish clowns and tang are very happy.

Both the Trigger and BSJF were fat and looked happy. Color was good. Was gone for 2 days came back and found the jawfish half eaten by crabs and the trigger acting funny now a day later found the trigger amost dead lifeless and eyes white...

What am I missing here?

2. Click Here!

3. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

You will need to post a full list of actual parameters for people to be able to help you. Including Ammonia, Nitrate, pH, Temperature, Salinity.

Then you will need to give us some information such as the size of your tank, how long you have had it for, what you run on the tank, and how long you have had each fish.

4. andru1313

81 degrees
    0 ppm nitrite
    5ppm Nitrates
    8.2 PH
    no Ammonia

65 Gallon RSM 250 with LED lighting. over 6 months running..
    55lbs of live rock
    I run Puragen, Chemi Pro Elite and filter floss. I do weekly water changes and have an ATO. Run a protein skimmer Also have a bunch of Corals in the tank. All which appear healthy. Frog spawns torches and zoas.

I have a yellow tang and 2 clowns.

5. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

It could have possibly been that there was to many fish in the tank to early. A trigger and yellow tang along are a whole lot of fish, and adding clowns and a jawfish to this might have caused an ammonia spike killing the jawfish. Then as it decomposed caused a large amount of ammonia which the trigger couldn't handle when you couldn't get to do a water change because you were away.

I come to this because you have some visible nitrates which could be there because of the decomposition of your fish and the end of a mini "cycle".

Do a nice big water change to make sure there all those bad things are gone.

What do you test with? API? or something else like Red Sea?

6. andru1313

I did a 10 gallon water change after i saw the jaw fish belly up. I test with a mix of testers. Some Hanna some APi some Seifert.

7. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Params look fine. It could just be bad luck and fish. If everything else is fine I would just continue routine maintenance and don't add anything for 2 months.

8. Click Here!

9. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

It might have been a temperture swing. Those RSM run hot and at least the BSJ is a cooler water fish.

10. andru1313

So the loss continues.. I lost a clown yesterday and my other clown who i have had for almost 4 years looks bad. He is spotty like he is covered in sand and his eyes are cloudy. so I think i found the issue. My daughter added some shells that she had in her room from the beach. She plopped them in the tank. I checked my water again today and had .25ppm ammonia spike.

So would the 4 shells she added cause this mini cycle?
    How do I get the ammonia back down to zero?

11. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Do you have any Prime? That is a product that can reduce your ammonia. You'll also want to do a pretty nice sized water change. I'm sure others will chime in on what to do.

12. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

Or the shells caused a disease outbreak. Possible ich with what you just described.