Resolved Fish keep dying,

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by scottmwoods, Jan 21, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Remove the artificial decorations and put in a lot more live rock. Your biological filter is way too small.

No way that amount of rock can convert all the waste from tangs and others to prevent issues.

Thank you for the images that always really helps. :)

2. Click Here!

3. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

glad what you are doing is getting the fish to color back up. :) thats a good sign

not sure how this garlic thing got started but its not true IMO i tried it spent the 12.95 for a bottle of it, only to find when i put it on the food the fish didn't want to eat...lol
    think about it is there garlic in the ocean? if you want to supplement with a vitamin try selcon
    try the the seaweed without garlic, the tang should like both the green and red. but i would try the garlic less green first.

4. scottmwoods

scottmwoods Spaghetti Worm

How much live rock should I have. I read that there should be about 1 lbs of rock to 1 gal of water. Im at 40lbs and 45gal. Is it the live rock or is it the bacteria the lives in the sand and crushed coral at the bottom the converts all the wast?

5. delreefer

delreefer Astrea Snail

There are serveral things i would try if i were you:1. you said your tank is 3 months old, the nitrogen cylce is not matured enought just yet. i would try weekly addtions of a bacterial solution of your choice. 2. watch the windex, if you are using it to clean the glass , spray it on a paper towel or rag outside of the room . spraying in the room or on the glass directly can cause small droplets to fall into the water. windex has ammonia in it. 3. cut back on the feeding, this can cause excess waste in the tank, and can cause lack of oxygen. finnally, slow down. long term success comes thur patience.

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Boy does not look like 40 lbs of rock must be very condensed rock.

1-2 lbs per gallon of water is about right, I usually go to 1 1/2 pounds of rock and it looks like a lot more.

The decorations in the tank do you know if it's made for a SW tank and are you sure of safety for SW purposes?

Yes you are right the beneficial bacteria live on all the media in the tank, from tank walls, rock, filter media. The more rock you have (within reason) the larger the biological filter if available bi-products of metabolism are present.

Go slow with additions a week or two between each, do not over feed.

Are they dying at night?

7. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Tang looks like it has a mild case of HLLE. More rocks, less submarine.

2 people like this.
  8. Click Here!

9. scottmwoods

The 40lbs of rock. I ordered it on-line I was not happy with it when I got it. the big pice on the right is about 20lbs by itself.

Are they dying at night? Most of the fish did die at night except this the last clown. It died about 10:00 am.

decorations in the tank do you know if it's made for a SW tank and are you sure of safety for SW purposes? Yes I took a trip to a real marine fish store 2 weeks ago. and it is for SW. Talked to the guy there about my tank.

I got the Green Killing Machine Internal UV Sterilizer with Power Head see if it will stop the algie

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  10. scottmwoods

I had a friend of mine stop over today. He just started his first tank last month. It's just a fish tank. No rocks. He seems to think that I need to dump everything out and clean it and start over. He pointed out some white specs on the glass of the tank that move. Not sure what they are they are so small that they are about the size of the tip of a pin.

11. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

Your friend seems to be a noob as well. Take advice here first. i know hes your friend and trying to help but were telling you to

1 just add more rock. base rock or cured live rock. That will help you!!! I cant see how thats 40 lbs imo. I have a 20 gallon that looks to have more rock in it. Live rock is the best filtration you can have naturally. Take advantage of it and add more!!!!
    2. Get that decoration out. I can only immagine the silicates its leaching in the tank.

no need to start again.

And warn your friend that with no rock at all, unless hes got some other sort of filration in place. i forsee many problems in his future.

12. Steve34

Steve34 Feather Star

I've always assumed that twenty 2lb rocks are more effective than a few big rocks because of surface area.

Personally I would ditch anything that's not necessary like the tank decorations and add some more dry base rock. You could double the rock volume you have now and be ok.