fish in Live Rock

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by somethingfishy, Aug 4, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. somethingfishy

somethingfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

I'm trying to remove a mean damsel from my 95 gal show tank and he keeps hiding in my LR. The rock he is in is a 20lb piece. I have moved it to a 10 gal QT tank but I want my LR back in my 95. Any Suggestions?

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Try feeding it and pulling the rock out.

4. Redbeard

Redbeard Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

If the rock is not supplying all of his nutritional needs and you're supplementing his diet you might be able to bait him into a trap. I've seen fish traps at the LFS that could easily fit into a 10 gal tank. Another thing you might try (just a theory of mine) would be to slowly lower the water level until he comes out of his hiding place and can't get back in, then pull the rock out. You could make a sort of fountain using a small power head to keep the rock wet without it being completely submerged.
    I've also read that when all else fails some people have had good luck with a properly sized hook with the barb crimped or filed off. (catch and release)
    Just make sure you have a new home ready and waiting for him when you do catch him

5. Redbeard

Redbeard Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Or what Matt said!

6. somethingfishy

Thank you for your suggestions. As of now I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. I think I will try baiting him out.

7. saltyfish922

saltyfish922 Feather Duster

di the trap work yet? [smiley=ears.gif]

8. Click Here!

9. somethingfishy

NO! That damsel is making me mad [smiley=bomb.gif]

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

11. somethingfishy

Thanks for the advise Matt, I am trying to use a mantis shrimp trap. I don't have a fish trap but they are the same thing. He is small enough to fit in it but he finds the rock more comfortable. I don't have room for a normal fish trap because he is in a 20lb piece of LR in a 10 gal tank

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I doubt that the mantis trap will work.  It's too small and confining for a fish to feel comfortable going into it and the fact that it's opaque doesn't help things either.  You can make your own fish trap easily.

Take a small pop or water bottle (they are a handy, multi-purpose tool in my house)  :)  Cut the top of the bottle off (about 2-3 inches from the top).  Clean both halves of the bottle well with diluted vinegar.  Then fill the bottom half with tank water, put in some type of sinking food and push the top half of the bottle into the bottom half so that the opening of the bottle faces down, towards the bottom of the second half.  The fish get in but they don't get out :)