fish has popped out eye, blood in it.

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by shayna_m, Apr 24, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. shayna_m

shayna_m Plankton

Hey,

So I've read up on some basic information on pop eye, and I've been looking at my fish now for the last 20 minutes. He certainly has pop eye, but I'm unsure how to best treat him. Here's what happened.

This afternoon, I was cleaning the tank and scooping him out to do so. He's a beta fish. As I scooped him out, he jumped and landed smack down on the surface of my desk. I felt awful and scooped him back up into a cup with some water in it. Once he was in the water, he seemed fine... he's been swimming around and stuff. I didn't pay him much attention after that until I put him back into his tank. Once I did, I noticed that his left eye was huge, swollen, and red. I can still see the basic eye, but its cloudy red. He's still swimming around the tank.

The other eye seems fine, which leads me to believe that he injured himself when he landed on the desk. I freaked out, and have since put a small amount of Melafix in his tank just to help the pop eye go down. I'm concerned about what could happen to him, and wondering if maybe it was even a good idea to put Melafix into the tank. At any rate, I need help!

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

well i dont think its technically popeye if injury caused it, but it may be a good idea to put a antibiotic in the water. also make sure his water quality is perfect zero ammonia, nitrite, and less then 10 nitrates.

as far as melafix is concerned i have no idea, i guess melafix is more or less a antibiotic. but since its organic it may not be pleasent on a exposed soar area.