fish for 55 gallon?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish' started by Gexx, May 26, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

i seem to be having trouble finding fish that will live in my 55 gallon. the tanks been setup for around 1 years, params are as follows.

ph: 8.2
    Ammonia:0
    nitrite:0
    nitrate: 20

it is pretty well planted, i use fourish tabs, flourish, and flourish excel. i also use an iron and potassium supplement.

fish:
    2x senegal bichirs (2 inches each) had for a month
    2x pictus cats (4 inches) had for 1 year
    1x common pleco (5 inches) had for 1 year
    1x rubber lip pleco (3 inches) had for 1 year
    1x male betta (1.5 inches) had for a month
    who knows how many ghost shrimp :p
    1x freshwater mussel (3 inches) had for 1 month

i have tried hatchetfish, angels, rasboras and danios (rasboras and danios were eaten by the pictus cats, hatchets and angels just died after a couple days :/)

i am unsure if it is the water or the fish causing the problems. the pictus cats are only active at night and the senegals are active during the day.

now that we are through the param and tank specs, what are some easy fish that would get large enough not to be picked on by the pictus cats? the fish also have to be compatible with plants.

thanksfor all the help,
    Gexx

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

pH is most likely the problem. The fish you have tried prefer a neutral pH of lower.

4. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

are there any fish that prefer my Ph? how do i go about making it neutral?

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

What is your substrate? African cichlids would be your best bet on fish. You would need Seachem's acid buffer to help keep your pH in control.

6. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

Substrate is sand and rocks. And ive had african cichlids. I dont exactly care for them. Could i use sphagnum moss? And if so, how exactl woul i
    Use it?

7. Betterboy4

Betterboy4 Astrea Snail

Wow your pH is Quite high you should probably change that, on the other hand I believe cicllids are the best way to go they can be hardy although there are many precaution about having ciclids in a tank. Just go to your local fish store and ask them about the pH and any other concerns with your fish compatibility they are often a great source of information and are willing to help.
    If you want to do some of your own research on what fish to get go to http://aquariumwiki.net/Main_Page

8. Click Here!

9. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

You know you are posting on threads that are 6-12 months old right?