Fish Food

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by bbsbliss, Jul 23, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bbsbliss

bbsbliss Ritteri Anemone

I'd like some input regarding food. Long story short- I inherited a 110gal with 6 fish, a starfish, urchin, a colt coral and cleaner crew, established tank. I have finished up the frozen food- cubes, one green (algae I assume), one brown (shrimp?), and need to get more. Should I stay with the same or try something different, and are there any pros and cons to just using an "all purpose" flake food? (I have some flake and pellet that we feed as "treats"- Ocean Nutrition is the brand.) Everyone in the tank is healthy, and eat everything that's offered.
    Thanks for any responses-

2. Click Here!

3. Frizza

Frizza Coral Banded Shrimp

I use Ocean Nutrition and i am happy with it. I think it's the phosphates that cause concern with flake foods in general. Frozen food is good, just make sure you dispose of the thawed out water before you feed them. If you have time then maybe make your own blend. I have done this before and all you need is a cheap food processor. I chucked in all sorts of food, gave it a blast, then put it in an ice cube tray....the fish loved it! There are a few recipes kicking around on the web.

4. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

what kind of fish? that semi-dictates what foods they need

I use a mixture of mysis and brine shrimp for my tanks with cyclops once a week just as a filter feeder/coral food and krill once a week for the anenome's

5. Northern Reefer

Northern Reefer Astrea Snail

What type of fish do you have? Different fish have very different dietary needs (found that out the hard way!)

6. bbsbliss

bbsbliss Ritteri Anemone

Tangs, a foxface Rabbitfish, a goby, a blennie, and a maroon clownfish. I've had the tank for 2 months, and everyone seems to be getting bigger on their current diet- or maybe it's too many treats! I follow the 5 minute rule for feeding, and they eat everything within 1-2 minutes.

7. bbsbliss

bbsbliss Ritteri Anemone

Tangs, a Rabbit fish, blennie, goby, and a maroon clownfish. I've had the tank 2 months and everyone seems to be growing, and they eat like they're starving!