Fish Food

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by RogerL, Apr 19, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Not aware of salmon as being a recommended fish food Matt. Raw oysters, clams, halibut, and swordfishare all fresh meaty foods I have used and to my knowledge none of those are aquacultured or farm raised. Do you have any different iformation?

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

No! :) I am just saying there may be cause for concern, not necessarily 'alarm' but concern.

Depending on where the things you listed came from, they are not exactly 'pure' either. Especially the oysters and clams.

Where I live you can't eat fish you catch over a certain size or some types altogether if you are pregnant.

Will it keep me from feeding it to my fish?
    No.

But I do think about it.

4. Craig Manoukian

I get all the above from the supermarket or the butcher/seafood store. I am assuming if it's OK to sell to me it's OK for da fish!

5. DC5

DC5 Astrea Snail

Well as long as I hear the "a-okay" from you guys since I'm a newbie at this.

Anyway, I am a biomedical researcher, not a marine expert. But I do know the fact that raw salmon has to be freeze for at least one week to kill off the parasites in them before it is served in any Japanese sushi restaurant. ( I assume the same process apply to any other fishes that are planned to be eaten raw) Also, raw clams, oysters are more prone to carry parasites because of their food choice, and it is recommended we eat them cooked, but I guess that's not too much of a concern for marine fishes, just that it is possible that they can carry parasites from where they are harvested, transported...etc.

Well, I think it's good to know, I'd be making the "mush" receipe once I get some livestock. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

6. Craig Manoukian

Sounds good DC5 and your biomedical background will be a great asset to you and this forum.

You're halfway to qualifying for the ClamsDirect Raffle so keep posting. Check out the sticky thread in the General Discussion forum.

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

[quote author=Craig_Manoukian link=board=Fish;num=1050775322;start=15#22 date=01/15/04 at 18:44:55]I get all the above from the supermarket or the butcher/seafood store.
    [/quote]

That's a good point. Same with freezing. Good to keep that in mind.
    I was just pointing out that concern is understandable because I am greenie and think about that stuff. ;D

Welcome! [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

8. Click Here!

9. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Off the west coast of Canada (West Vancouver Island) there are a lot of Fish farms, mainly Atlantic Salmon. Why Atlantic Salmon, Well they are a heartier fish that is less susceptible to disease. Anyway there is a lot of negative press on all the Farms. Massive rewards for Atlantic Salmon caught by sport fishermen. The practice is quite disturbing as seals and otters find the fish easy pray. Because of this Fish Farmers treat Seals and Otters as Land Farmers would treat Foxes or Wolves. These Farmed fish introduce disease to the wild population and because of the antibiotics used to treat the farmed fish, stronger and stronger strains of disease emerge.
    It's a very big business out here and with logging going bad as well as our natural fish stocks so low, most coastal communities are struggling to find a viable way to make ends meet.
    This new problem opens up new debate as to weather fish farming is a good idea at all.
    Mean While Salmon hatcheries are breading and successfully releasing 10s of thousands of fish Fri more each year than would naturally occur. Is this rebuilding our fish stocks or flooding out streams and rivers with fish the river just can't support. The jury is still out.

My take on all of this is this:
    Swiffer the wonderful disposable dust mop, I guess the world just didn't like the 3 "R"s Reuse, Recycle and Reduce. There ain't gona be a Salmon or a Human to save if we don't wake up.

J

10. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

11. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

Jakets said
    "Mean While Salmon hatcheries are breading and successfully releasing 10s of thousands of fish Fri more each year than would naturally occur. "
    I am thinking what a deal the fish are caught already breaded saves time and mess YUMMY! LOL
    Something to ponder How is commercial food made?
    Where does the fishmeal come from?
    What are process used to guarantee against same problem as fresh homemade mush?
    I had the luxury of working for Penn plax when they introduced their new food about 1 1/2 years ago and The things you find out about competitors processes whew. I also have worked selling holistic pet foods and believe that the answer is if you can make it home you have the best diet with the least chance of contamination and the best price. The trend nowadays is to use human grade food for your pet so my 2 cents is if you have the time, energy and willingness to make your own the tank is better off.

12. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Did they say is was all hatcheries or was it just some of them. It could be just like everything else in this world ....You have lazy people that don't take care of the livestock properly and expects a perfect crop.