Fish Food

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by RogerL, Apr 19, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RogerL

RogerL Fire Worm

what are good fish food brands? i have been using Sally's frozen foods for krill, brine, and plankton, and "LifeLine" herbivore frozen food. are these good?

2. Click Here!

3. Wrassman

Wrassman Peppermint Shrimp

[glow=Red, 2, 80%]Hey Roger,

What I do is this. Once every couple of months I go to the grocery store and buy some popcorn size shrimp (cheapest by the pound), some cheap fish, a couple of scallops, a couple of small crabs, and perhaps an oyster or two.

I bring this home, mix it with three or 4 sheets of Seaweed Selects, and a bunch of Zoe, or Selcon (or some other vitamin enriched formula you use), and grind it all up together. Not too much! You still want some "chunky-ness" to it, for the larger fish and the shrimps, etc.

What you don't use, freeze. It will keep for up to a year. I have found that this is one of the best ways to feed your critters, both in economics, and in health of the critters.
    [/glow]

[glow=Red, 2, 98%]If anyone has another recipe that you think is better, please share.[/glow]
    [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=cool4.gif] [smiley=devilish.gif] [smiley=wink3.gif] [smiley=yelrotflmao.gif] [smiley=lol.gif] [smiley=wave.gif]​

4. RogerL

RogerL Fire Worm

cool! i will start cooking immediately! :) would it be good to add a little garlic to keep ich away??

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

WoW. Food recipes. Cool idea Wrassman. I like yours. 8)

FWIW, I had great results with Formula 1 & 2 frozen foods. That Cycop eez on the product review board sounds great too.

:)

6. Wrassman

[glow=Blue, 3, 90%]Hey Roger,

I forgot that I added 1 clove of minced garlic to this last batch of food I made up. I never have a problem with ich, but I did put it in there for "security purposes."
    [/glow] ;D​

[glow=Green, 3, 90%]I don't think a little garlic would hurt anything, Roger. Just don't put too much. I have heard that filter feeders don't much like garlic when it is too heavy (don't ask me what too heavy is :) ).[/glow]

[glow=Red, 4, 80%]HTH[/glow]​
    [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=cool4.gif] [smiley=grin3.gif] [smiley=thumbs_up1.gif]​

7. RogerL

RogerL Fire Worm

now, what fishes will eat this concotion? i know my eel isn't fond of anything that is not shrimp or squid. the clown and blenny will eat this?

8. Click Here!

9. Wrassman

[glow=Yellow, 1, 100%]You'll be surprised, Roger. I take great pride in my "mush," and I daresay that ALL of your fish (even your eel) will eat it. That is why it has so many different things in it (don't forget the Nori or the Seaweed Selects).

Tell me which fish won't eat it, and I'll tell you how to modify it so they will.
    [/glow] ;D

10. RogerL

RogerL Fire Worm

i'm off to the grocery store today! i'll tell you how the mush goes over with the fish. ;-)

11. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

both of the fishstores i go to sell there own food mixes. not sure whats in them or what they exactly mix (cant remember) but some of the fish are so spoiled they wont eat anything else. the place where i got my clowns i broght them home they were healthy and fat but wouldnt eat for a week. the guy told me to take them back he put them in a q tank and in minites they were eating. they wanted that food that he mixed, thats how i got the pair i have they ate for me. then the other one her blue hippo he gets upset if he doesnt get his food he will zip around the tank and start knocking corals over if hes not fed on time or if she tries to feed anything else

12. vincent843

vincent843 Plankton

Hi Wrassman, I like your formular. What is Zoe, and Selcon and how you feed it , I meant everyday? Thanks.vn