fish food, what should i buy?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by BluePhish, Jul 10, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BluePhish

BluePhish Teardrop Maxima Clam

ok so long story short, ive always feed frozen , and ive always had a slight algae problem, all my levels are good everything zero, obviously phos at zero on my test(since i have an agae problem), i just added a fuge with macro to help (1.5 weeks ago), so im going to try to start feeding flake or whatever you all recommend.

i have to take into consideration, most of my fish are planktivores. im not concerned with the 2 dragonets as i have tons of pods.

the fish im concerned with eating the flake are my clowns, neon goby,coral goby, and 6-line.

what flake or pellet do you all recommend for these 5 fish?

if your going to tell me that its a personal preference then can you tell me what ingredients i should look for(vitamins...ect.)

oh yeah i feed cyclops to my corals.

thank you

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Well, all fish are either planktivores or herbivors or both so that's not really an issue. Just get yourself a good quality flake that has a mixture of meat and spirulina algae. I prefer O.S.I. brand and it's all that I feed our fish. Like you, we feed our corals cyclopeeze from time to time but that's about the only frozen food we give to the tank.

4. fishpoop

fishpoop Feather Duster

so why not alot of frozen foods?

5. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

I would stick the the frozen food as you will get more waste from flakes.

What kind of algae problem are you having btw?

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Because it's not really needed. Flakes are just as nutritious and don't add as much junk to the tank as frozen. If you feed the right amount and have the proper amount of detritivors, you shouldn't have any waste.

7. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

I use flake and hikari pellets, but my fish seem to like the flake the most... Almost never use the pellets anymore....

8. Click Here!

9. fishpoop

fishpoop Feather Duster

ahhh i see i see. well i gave them flakes this morning.
    my pajamas wont eat it though. everything else does haha

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Yeah, cardinal fish tend to only eat shrimp, although I had one that ate flakes. It also ate all of my cleaner shrimp too though so either way, I was screwed :)

11. fishpoop

fishpoop Feather Duster

oh gawd thats horrable haha!
    nah they taste the flakes then spit them out. :-X they eat only frozen. so annoying

12. BluePhish

BluePhish Teardrop Maxima Clam

btw its brown algae, and some cyano on the sand. it not really that bad at all but enough to piss me off. and im sure if i dont change a few things it will get worse.

the fish i see not wanting to eat the flake is the juvi coral goby, he is very picky. and a flake is proly bigger than him.

what is meat labeled as on a flake can, lol, should i be looking for like omega something.