Fish Feel Pain!

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by Matt Rogers, Apr 30, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

In case you have ever wondered....

Fish feel pain, British researchers say
    Wed Apr 30, 9:12 AM ET

LONDON (AFP) - Fish feel pain, say scientists in Britain in a breakthrough study that has anglers and animal rights activists at loggerheads.

Laboratory tests, in which bee venom and acetic acid was injected into the lips of rainbow trout, suggested that fish have feelings, including stress and pain in the form of "trout trauma."

The research was carried out by the University of Edinburgh and the Roslin Institute -- birthplace of Dolly the sheep, the world's first cloned mammal -- and published by the august Royal Society in London on Wednesday.

It sought to demonstrate that fish can feel pain by the existence of nervous system receptors, or "polymodal nociceptors," in their heads which respond to damaging stimuli.

"Anomalous behaviours were exhibited by trout subjected to bee venom and acetic acid," says Lynne Sneddon, who led the study.

"Fish demonstrated 'rocking' motion, strikingly similar to the kind of motion seen in stressed higher vertebrates like mammals," she said.

She added: "The trout injected with acetic acid were also observed to rub their lips on to the gravel in their tank and on the tank walls. These do not appear to be reflex responses."

"Our research demonstrates nociception and suggests that noxious stimulation in the rainbow trout has adverse behavioural and physiological effects. This fulfils the criteria for animal pain."

The findings were welcomed by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), an outspoken animal rights group.

"Although we are not happy that the animals suffered for the study, we hope that when people see these results, they will think twice about going angling," said PETA director Dawn Carr.

But the National Angling Alliance (NAA) -- representing Britain's 3.8 million sport fishermen -- called the conclusions "surprising."

"These findings are in direct contrast to the recent work of Professor James Rose of the University of Wyoming, who stated ... that fish do not possess the necessary and specific regions of the brain, the neocortex, to enable them to feel pain," an NAA spokesman said.

Bruno Broughton, a fish biologist and NAA adviser, said: "I doubt that it will come as much of a shock to anglers to learn that fish have an elaborate system of sensory cells around their mouths..."

"However, it is an entirely different matter to draw conclusions about the ability of fish to feel pain, a psychological experience for which they literally do not have the brains."

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...0430/sc_afp/science_britain_fish_030430131217

2. Click Here!

3. CheckMateKingll

CheckMateKingll Feather Duster

Great bit of info Matt,,,
    I thought It was in my list of things I had posted in the past,,,
    Great find, I knew my critters had feelings, hehe

4. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

The real pity here is that the people who suggest we don't go angling choose to be a lower life form, mentally, than the fish themselves. All animals feel pain and have a flight or fight response, duh! I didn't need to waste all that money and resource to figure that out!

Sorry for venting, but some peoples kids! Let those bird brains starve to death, I think I heard the corn cry when I ripped its husk! Plllllease!

:) ;) :D ;D 8) ::)

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

[smiley=laugh3.gif]

I feel your pain Craig.

I thought this thread would bring some interesting replies! ;D

6. Craig Manoukian

7. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

well i still love fishing my ? is does it really affect fish since catch and release is getting bigger? theres a lot of fish that are released that are fine afterwards. for example look at bass you can catch a bass go back the next day or 2 and catch the same bass just an example

8. Click Here!

9. CheckMateKingll

CheckMateKingll Feather Duster

Being from Florida,,,
    I love Bass Fishing,,,
    I try to be as gentle as possible with the bass I catch, I real them in as Quick as possible to alliveate as much stress as possible...
    It is the ones like us that understand both sides of the coin who are true Catch and Release experts,,,
    The key, be gentle, hehe...

10. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

you know what is sad they do a lot of stocking of trout in pa which is good but there are so many people that the only way they fish is by following the fish trucks. and they catch everything they keep and i mean everything. one time i was at a place i go to and this truck drove up they got out and actually said did you see the stock truck and we laughed and said no they got back in there truck and left. (pretty pathetic if u ask me)

also i have gotten into fly fishing and it seems like every time i decide to get the fly rod out, it doesnt matter if theres 2 or 10 guys at least one or more always leave for some reason i havent figured that one out yet

11. Craig Manoukian

Fly fishing, with a barbless hook and catch & release, is the real bomb! Best thing since sliced bread if you ask me!

Bass fishing with a fly rod using streamers or poppers gives the outing a whole new dimension. The action on a fly rod is way better than on any spinning rod, even the ultra lights!

:) ;) :D ;D 8)

12. Funkify360

Funkify360 Plankton