Fish eating shrimp!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by CarolFrech, Dec 23, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CarolFrech

CarolFrech Plankton

Ive had 2 cleaner shrimp for over a year and they disappeared. Bought 2 firshrimp and 2 peppermint shrimp and a cleaner. I actually watched my Naso and Sailfin rip it apart. So I bought 2 more cleaners( LARGE ONES)and watched my foxface attacking it. I stopped it and this morning they were fine.. Later today my cleaner shrimp are GONE. All I have left are 2 peppermint shrimp.
    Any reason why my fish would eat them?
    1 Foxface
    1 Naso Tang
    1Sailfin
    2 clowns
    2 cardinals
    1 Flame angel
    1 Lawnmower blenny

2. Click Here!

3. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

Only thing i could think of is that the tank is too small and they are simply being teritorial. Ive never seen any tangs eat shrimp that were 1.5" or more. Nor clowns cardinals blennies, or even flames for that matter.

4. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

My Splendid Dottyback ate my 2 cleaner Fire Shrimp...it waited until they molted, then had a snack. Apparently that is quite normal behavior for that fish.

What a bummer....that is pretty odd for tangs I would think tho....

Karma for your losses.....

:(

5. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

[quote author=birdlady link=board=ASAP;num=1103858035;start=0#2 date=12/23/04 at 19:26:55]...it waited until they molted, then had a snack.

:([/quote]

very true! If the shrimp molt without cover they wil surly be eaten. Nice and tender with no movement. Also points towards an overdensoty of fishes being able to find the shrimp.