Fish dying; not sure why!!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by hoffmabc, Jan 19, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hoffmabc

hoffmabc Astrea Snail

Wow people are passionate. I've rebuilt my tank and it seems to now be cycling.

The tang, chromi, snails and starfish are in a small 20g for now. Ammonia is high there but doing frequent water changes until I can get them back in the main setup.

The fish are breathing fast but eating. I'm praying they make it.

Thanks for everyone's help. I like to make people feel stupid sometimes too when things have always gone well, but I appreciate those that have helped when I was in trouble.

Thanks everyone.

2. Click Here!

3. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Cool.

Your challenge now, as you know, is to keep the ammonia down. Do you know anyone that will let you borrow an established HOB filter, or filter media, like a Biowheel? It can make a huge difference. It's very difficult to rely on water changes alone.

I keep 6 or 8 Biowheel filters floating in my sump for QT purposes. I never have an ammonia problem, makes a stressful time much easier for you and your fish.

4. hoffmabc

hoffmabc Astrea Snail

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Get a product called Prime to help with the ammonia issues.

You can also add some microbactor7 or the cycle product by Dr.Tim to help establish some beneficial bacteria a little quicker. Keep feedings light.

6. hoffmabc

hoffmabc Astrea Snail

I have an AquaClear 20 that I could use. Just some lane Whisper 10 in there right now.

7. hoffmabc

hoffmabc Astrea Snail

Thanks. Seachem Prime?

8. Click Here!

9. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

+1! to the above!

Listen bro, this hobby can be frustrating and certain folk get a lil too worked up! Do what corrailine said! Get Prime or maybe some purigen I believe! Your local LFS should have something!

And get a bacteria booster to get that cycle in full gear!

Good luck!

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Yes.

System has a lot of potential judging by the images.

Good luck to you and hang in there it's worth it and yea we can get a little passionate about this hobby. Keep in mind there is more than one way to do things and everyone thinks their way is the best, I am guilty of that at times as well. Just research and research some more.

11. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

has the aquaclear 20 been used before?

12. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Maybe I should explain it a little better. It's important to get some established bacteria in your tank, because the ammonia is burning their gills, eyes, skin, etc. It's doing damage that they can take, but for a short period of time. You don't have to run out right now, but if you can add bacteria by the bottle, or established media, it's fairly important. Very experienced people can have problems with the situation that you're in. It's not an easy one.

Everyone makes mistakes, whatever. It's how you respond, is what makes the difference.