Fish dying; not sure why!!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by hoffmabc, Jan 19, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

Wanna put money on that... go check out my build thread homie...

note: this is my last post on this thread.

2. Click Here!

3. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

i did not mean to say killing anything, but having a parsite pop up because of no quarantine or something along those lines is all jus tpart of learning. we all make mistakes eventually no matter how much research we do, we buy a fish on impulse, or dont dip a coral before introduction. it happens to the best of us.

4. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

i believe it is absurd for anyone to claim they have never made even a small mistake in this hobby..... homie..

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I think you should reread what you posted. Then read what I posted. I never said I have never made a mistake. Your contention that you can't learn anything unless something goes wrong is simply untrue. I have helped many people have thriving tanks and they have learned plenty. Like how to succeed.

1 person likes this.
  6. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

The DT setup needs to be stripped down and redone.. Must be thrown out LR, LS, filter media and anything else that can not be cleaned of the copper.. Everything else including tank, sump, pumps, impellers, hoses, powerheads, etc wash in white vinegar and rinse very very well..

As for the tank I can see why some say the tank can't be used for reef after a dose with copper.. Plain and simple, look at all the seams.. They should be nice & tight, but here are the issues;

Voids in the sealing at mfg that we can not see.
    When we use scrapers to clean the glass we go right against the silicone. After time or just doing it once you put cuts into it.

All this will allow copper dust to settle into thoughs voids... As far as the silicone absorbing the copper, I don't believe that is possible on the new silicones, but I not a chemist nor have I seen proof stating so. I can get an answer by Monday, since I do have a connection at All-Glass and one of the silicone mfg to put this myth to rest..

1 person likes this.
  7. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

im going to have to disagree here, if a person has their entire tank setup problem free, the second a problem arises they will have no idea what to do and will most likely end up having their tank running into the ground.
    you need to make mistakes in order to learn how to fix them in my opinion.
    and when someone is used to having perfect tanks all the time they will not know how to react in a dire situation. i have had many a dire situation and i am very used to taking care of it. but i know alot of friends that have never had any problems with their tanks, then they dont quarantine a fish or something and their tank gets ich, and not knowing what to do their tank is soon compromised.

8. Click Here!

9. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

+1 Vinny is a great help; along w/ him, and 2in10 ive learned the majority of my knowledge from those 2 gentlemen. I take advantage of watching peoples mistakes on here (ie this thread) and make sure i dont replicate. i dont need to do it myself to learn. if anything abnormal happens to my tank; one of those 2 guys will be there to aid me thru it... and people like that are a dime a dozen

10. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

I don't quite understand your logic, here. I've been keeping SW tanks for 37 years without a single "dire situation", nevermind a crash. But I will know what to do when something arises.

An old-timer once said, "You must learn from other's mistakes. You'll never live long enough to make them all, yourself".

That's why we have books, and in today's world, the internet. :)

1 person likes this.
  11. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

i was not trying to say you have to make all these mistakes, i was simply trying to imply that making a mistake isnt always a bad things, because you learn from it.

12. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Please read this part over again maybe you didn't see it. If a problem arises that you don't know how to fix you research it. What is so hard to understand about that? Mistakes have been made thousands of times but there is always a remedy.Please read Mr. Bill's post over and over until that sinks in. It is apparent that you could use the advise of someone with Wisdom. Research should always be done and hopefully it will limit the ammount of mistakes you make.The best way to avoid a mistake is to not make one in the first place::) I am going to stop posting here now before I burst a blood vessel.:cheesy:
    I would like to apologize to the O.P. for letting this thread get off track. Can we please get back to his problem.Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
    4 people like this.